Career as a Civil Engineer, or as a Physician

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's interests in the fields of architecture and internal medicine. They mention their academic history and grades, as well as their desire to help people and create/design things. They also discuss the possibility of attending a Caribbean medical school and the potential challenges and disadvantages of doing so. Ultimately, they are seeking advice and input on which career path to pursue.
Domn
Hello everyone, I am relatively new to this forum. My name is Domn, I am seventeen, and will be graduating from a community college this June with my AA, and my high school diploma. During my two years at junior college I took a lot of math classes, and am currently in Calculus 2. My math history is as so: Pre-Cal 1: 1.5, Pre-Cal 2: Self Study, Calculus 1: 3.0, and so far I received a 94% on my first Calculus 2 exam, and a 54% on my second exam. For some reason, I did not understand calculus work problems whatsoever, but I know how to take integrals well. I've also taken the second biology course in the biology for majors series, I received a B, but I decided to not continue with the series (last year). My overall college GPA is 3.39, my science GPA is terrible due to my 1.5 in Pre-Cal. I've noticed that my grades are primarily related to my study method, by that I mean I have no study method.

For the majority of my sophomore, and junior years of high school/ start of college, I have had a strong interest in the field of architecture. During my trips through Seattle, the thing that astounded me the most was the artwork, and the look of the buildings, and the design of the city itself. My high school was just rebuilt, and every time I walk past it, I always imagine different ways it could have been designed to be more efficient, and more aesthetically appealing. I really have a drive to push our society into the future whether it be in building design, road design, or railroads. I really love the idea of architecture, but I feel that architecture tends to be more art oriented, where as civil engineering seems more realism oriented. For all of these reasons, in the back of my mind I want to become a civil engineer, but I have read from numerous sources that civil engineering is rough for finding a job.

Another career that I have been looking into has been internal medicine. In particular, I have an interest in infectious disease. My reason for looking at this career is because I like working with, and helping people. I really enjoy problem solving, and love the idea of actually being able to solve different health issues in people. My grades aren't that strong for this line of work however, and I believe that to become a physician, I would have to go to a Caribbean med school.

Overall, money does not matter to me. I am also willing to work internationally so that I can see, and learn more about different cultures in this world, but I am not sure what career I should be pursuing. I love the ideas of creating, and designing things, but at the same time, I want to help people medically. If anyone has any insight into any of these two fields, or work experience in either, I would benefit greatly from your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can apply to medical school as any type of a major, as long as you complete the required classes. Don't go to a Caribbean medical school unless it's an absolute last resort.

Sounds like you are not really ready to lock in on any particular major. You need to try something, via a summer job, a semester off from school, or something to get your feet wet in some area to see if you like it. That could help you decide which way you want to go.

cdotter said:
You can apply to medical school as any type of a major, as long as you complete the required classes. Don't go to a Caribbean medical school unless it's an absolute last resort.

Why not? I did my undergraduate in a Caribbean school, and I will be finishing a Ph.D. in Economics in a few months in top Econ program.

I guess it depends whether you go to a TRUE University, where they offer many careers not just medicine, and avoid diploma mills.

I was looking into AUC. I figure that since I would want to be going into either family medicine, or internal medicine, I don't have to worry so much about the rarity of attaining residency as an IMG.

Pyrrhus said:
Why not? I did my undergraduate in a Caribbean school, and I will be finishing a Ph.D. in Economics in a few months in top Econ program.

I guess it depends whether you go to a TRUE University, where they offer many careers not just medicine, and avoid diploma mills.

If you absolutely must go to a Caribbean medical school, consider only the big name schools: Ross, Xavier, and SGUs. Even at those 'top' schools, the medical students have a much harder time than their U.S. counterparts. Attrition rates at U.S. schools are in the single digits vs 20-30% at Caribbean schools. Students face difficulties in landing good rotations in their third and fourth years and they also need a significantly higher Step I score to get the same residency slot as a US MD or DO student.

1. What are the educational requirements for becoming a civil engineer?

To become a civil engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or a related field. This typically includes coursework in math, science, and engineering principles. Some states also require a Professional Engineer (PE) license, which requires passing a licensing exam.

2. What types of projects do civil engineers work on?

Civil engineers work on a wide range of projects, including building and maintaining roads, bridges, airports, buildings, and water systems. They also often specialize in specific areas such as transportation engineering, environmental engineering, or geotechnical engineering.

3. What skills are important for a career as a civil engineer?

In addition to strong technical skills in math and science, civil engineers also need excellent problem-solving and critical thinking abilities. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important, as civil engineers often work with other professionals such as architects, contractors, and government officials.

4. What is the job outlook for civil engineers?

The job outlook for civil engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 11% from 2018-2028, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is faster than the average for all occupations. The demand for infrastructure improvements and sustainable building practices will continue to drive the need for civil engineers.

5. What is the difference between a civil engineer and a physician?

A civil engineer designs and oversees the construction of buildings, roads, and other structures, while a physician diagnoses and treats medical conditions in patients. Both careers require a strong educational background, critical thinking skills, and attention to detail, but the daily tasks and responsibilities are quite different.