Register to reply

Cyclic decompostions

by Bhatia
Tags: linear alegbra, operators
Share this thread:
Bhatia
Feb27-12, 08:53 AM
P: 11
Let T be a linear operator on the the finite dimensional space V, and let R be the range of T.

(a) Prove that R has a complementary T-invariant subspace iff R is independent of the null space N of T.

(b) If R and N are independent, prove that, N is the unique T-invariant subspace complementary to R.

I supposed R has a complementary T - invariant subspace, say, W. Then , R should be T- admissible. I assumed to the contrary, that R intersection T is not equal to {0}. I took a point in the intersection but could not proceed further. Please suggest.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
arkajad
Feb27-12, 11:15 AM
P: 1,411
Can you define "T-admisible"?
Bhatia
Feb27-12, 11:43 AM
P: 11
Quote Quote by arkajad View Post
Can you define "T-admisible"?
Thanks for your reply.

Given a linear operator T on a vector space V then a subspace W is T- admissible if

i) W is invariant under T
(ii) if f(T) β belongs to W, there exists a vector η in W such that f(T)β = f(T) η.

arkajad
Feb27-12, 12:55 PM
P: 1,411
Cyclic decompostions

What is f(T) in (ii)?
morphism
Feb28-12, 04:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
Hint: Fix a basis for the range of T and extend it to a basis for V. What can you say about these extra basis vectors?

Register to reply