How to evaluate this integral to get pi^2/6:

• Thread starter hb1547
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation touches upon the value of the integral \int_0^\infty \frac{u}{e^u - 1}, which is known to be \frac{\pi^2}{6}. The question arises if this result can be directly evaluated or if it is obtained through other methods, such as using the equation \zeta(x) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(x)} \int_0^\infty \frac{u^{x-1}}{e^u -1} du. The conversation ends with a mention of using complex variable techniques to solve the equation.
hb1547
[itex]\int_0^\infty \frac{u}{e^u - 1}[/itex]

I know that this integral is [itex]\frac{\pi^2}{6}[/itex], just from having seen it before, but I'm not really sure if I can evaluate it directly to show that.

I know that:

[itex] \zeta(x) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(x)} \int_0^\infty \frac{u^{x-1}}{e^u -1} du [/itex]

Does the value [itex]\frac{\pi^2}{6}[/itex] come from using other methods of showing the result for [itex]\zeta(2)[/itex] and solving the equation, or is that integral another way of evaluating [itex]\zeta(2)[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
hb1547 said:
[itex]\int_0^\infty \frac{u}{e^u - 1}[/itex]

I know that this integral is [itex]\frac{\pi^2}{6}[/itex], just from having seen it before, but I'm not really sure if I can evaluate it directly to show that.

I know that:

[itex] \zeta(x) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(x)} \int_0^\infty \frac{u^{x-1}}{e^u -1} du [/itex]

Does the value [itex]\frac{\pi^2}{6}[/itex] come from using other methods of showing the result for [itex]\zeta(2)[/itex] and solving the equation, or is that integral another way of evaluating [itex]\zeta(2)[/itex]?

never mind ... my complex variable technique is rusty ...

Last edited:
Anyone else have any input?

1. What is the integral that results in pi^2/6?

The integral in question is the famous Basel problem, which can be written as ∫01 (1/x^2) dx.

2. How do you solve the integral for pi^2/6?

The integral can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as the Euler-Maclaurin summation formula or the Riemann zeta function. The resulting value is pi^2/6 or approximately 1.644934.

3. Why is pi^2/6 important?

The value of pi^2/6 is significant because it is closely related to the famous mathematical constant pi. It also has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. Can the integral be evaluated using a calculator?

No, the integral cannot be evaluated using a calculator as it requires advanced mathematical techniques. However, there are online calculators available that can solve the integral for you.

5. What is the significance of the integral in mathematics?

The integral is significant in mathematics as it is a prime example of a convergent series. It also has connections to other important mathematical concepts, such as the Riemann zeta function and the harmonic series.