Does Dark Anti-Matter exist?

• Thread starter WhiteKnights
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Anti-matter
In summary, dark matter doesn't have any direct effects on normal matter, but we can hypothesize that it might have anti-matter counterparts. We don't know for sure, but we're working on finding out.
Dark matter BENDS light, as has been pointed out. What do you mean by "dark matter limits the speed of light" ?

Dark matter has nothing to do with the acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

Your concepts seem to be quite garbled.

Space news on Phys.org
There is so much dark matter in the universe it is unlikely much of it is 'anti' dark matter. We would otherwise expect to see an abundance of spurious gamma radiation in the cosmic background - which is not observed. It also appears probable dark matter is not a half spin particle meaning it has no anti particle equivalent.

Chronos said:
There is so much dark matter in the universe it is unlikely much of it is 'anti' dark matter. We would otherwise expect to see an abundance of spurious gamma radiation in the cosmic background - which is not observed. It also appears probable dark matter is not a half spin particle meaning it has no anti particle equivalent.
Makes sense. So my line of questions meets a dead end. Still, I don't truly believe that the speed of photons is unaffected in a vacuum as we know it. This is because gravity would still exist in a vacuum should such a thing as a true vacuum exist. Perhaps the value of c would be different to what Einstein theorized in the absence of the effects of matter, dark or otherwise.

StevenJParkes said:
Makes sense. So my line of questions meets a dead end. Still, I don't truly believe that the speed of photons is unaffected in a vacuum as we know it. This is because gravity would still exist in a vacuum should such a thing as a true vacuum exist. Perhaps the value of c would be different to what Einstein theorized in the absence of the effects of matter, dark or otherwise.

I fail to see what gravity has to do with the speed of light. Also, there is nowhere in the universe that is free of gravity. Even the voids between galaxy superclusters have gravity.

I could be mistaken. If gravity could bend light it must be able to limit its velocity. Perhaps, outside our universe there is a void...a real vacuum and the universe is rushing off to form an equilibrium. It would be interesting though, if there were other universes rushing towards us, or something of that nature.

StevenJParkes said:
I could be mistaken. If gravity could bend light it must be able to limit its velocity.

I don't believe this happens.

Perhaps, outside our universe there is a void...a real vacuum and the universe is rushing off to form an equilibrium. It would be interesting though, if there were other universes rushing towards us, or something of that nature.

Please, try to avoid speculation without references to back it up.

StevenJParkes said:
I could be mistaken. If gravity could bend light it must be able to limit its velocity.

No, that does not follow. Gravity changes the geodesic that light follows but the photons still travel at c.

Even inside a black hole where light cannot escape, it is still traveling LOCALLY at c, because the black hole just warps the geodesic.

You say
I don't truly believe that the speed of photons is unaffected in a vacuum as we know it

You really need to get over this thought that it matters what you believe. You should study physics, not make stuff up.

Please forgive me. I will stop this. I was under the impression that thinking outside the box may stimulate something useful.

StevenJParkes said:
Please forgive me. I will stop this. I was under the impression that thinking outside the box may stimulate something useful.

Thinking outside the box is a GREAT thing to do, but ONLY after you understand what the box is.

StevenJParkes said:

Bouncing off what phinds said, thinking outside the box requires that you understand how current theories work. Not just in an informal "i read a book or two on it" way, but an actual understanding of the math that governs the theory. Otherwise, similar to what Phinds said, you don't know where the box is or where it ends.

Basically, there is no reason why anti dark matter can't exist. True, that it is not charged, but that can be perfectly explained by anti neutrons. Antineutrons have equal amounts of positrons and antiprotons.

A different explanation according to my theory:

Also on another note, since neutrinos have no charge and are not visible, could it be possible that neutrinos could be a new fundamental particle for dark matter? Maybe things like neutrinoprotons and neutrinoelectrons could exist. And since every particle has a anti matter part, nuetrinoparticles might as well have a antinuetrinoparticle counterpart? I'm confused about all this, but you tell me.

Last edited:
Physgeek123 said:
True, that it is not charged, but that can be perfectly explained by anti neutrons.
Wait, what? Antineutrons decay (into charged antiparticles), and they would react with baryonic matter via the strong interaction. This would be really bad for life.

Also on another note, since neutrinos have no charge and are not visible, could it be possible that neutrinos could be a new fundamental particle for dark matter?
The energy density of neutrinos can be calculated. It is not negligible, but it is not large enough to explain the amount of dark matter present in the universe.

Maybe things like neutrinoprotons and neutrinoelectrons could exist
No. Unless you write a paper with a theory where they pop up as result of the theory.
It is bad that theoreticians invent so many particles with a mathematical foundation. We don't need even more particle names without any theory behind it.

Physgeek123 said:
Basically, there is no reason why anti dark matter can't exist. True, that it is not charged, but that can be perfectly explained by anti neutrons. Antineutrons have equal amounts of positrons and antiprotons.

They do not. Antineutrons are composed of one up antiquark and two down antiquarks. An normal neutron is composed of one up quark and two down quarks. Protons and electrons, or their antimatter counterparts, do not make up neutrons and antineutrons.

A different explanation according to my theory:

Also on another note, since neutrinos have no charge and are not visible, could it be possible that neutrinos could be a new fundamental particle for dark matter? Maybe things like neutrinoprotons and neutrinoelectrons could exist. And since every particle has a anti matter part, nuetrinoparticles might as well have a antinuetrinoparticle counterpart? I'm confused about all this, but you tell me.

I suggest you read the following article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_particle

<h2>1. What is dark anti-matter?</h2><p>Dark anti-matter is a hypothetical form of matter that is believed to make up a significant portion of the universe. It is thought to have the opposite properties of normal matter, such as having a negative charge and repelling other forms of matter.</p><h2>2. How is dark anti-matter different from regular anti-matter?</h2><p>Dark anti-matter is different from regular anti-matter in that it does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes and other detection methods. Regular anti-matter, on the other hand, can be detected through its interactions with normal matter.</p><h2>3. What evidence do we have for the existence of dark anti-matter?</h2><p>There is currently no direct evidence for the existence of dark anti-matter. However, scientists have observed the effects of its gravitational pull on visible matter, indicating that it may exist and make up a significant portion of the universe's mass.</p><h2>4. How is dark anti-matter studied and detected?</h2><p>Dark anti-matter cannot be directly detected, but scientists use a variety of methods to study its effects on visible matter. These include observing the rotation of galaxies, studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, and conducting experiments with particle accelerators.</p><h2>5. What are the implications of discovering dark anti-matter?</h2><p>The discovery of dark anti-matter would greatly impact our understanding of the universe and its formation. It could also potentially lead to advancements in technology, such as new energy sources and propulsion systems. Additionally, studying dark anti-matter could help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics.</p>

1. What is dark anti-matter?

Dark anti-matter is a hypothetical form of matter that is believed to make up a significant portion of the universe. It is thought to have the opposite properties of normal matter, such as having a negative charge and repelling other forms of matter.

2. How is dark anti-matter different from regular anti-matter?

Dark anti-matter is different from regular anti-matter in that it does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes and other detection methods. Regular anti-matter, on the other hand, can be detected through its interactions with normal matter.

3. What evidence do we have for the existence of dark anti-matter?

There is currently no direct evidence for the existence of dark anti-matter. However, scientists have observed the effects of its gravitational pull on visible matter, indicating that it may exist and make up a significant portion of the universe's mass.

4. How is dark anti-matter studied and detected?

Dark anti-matter cannot be directly detected, but scientists use a variety of methods to study its effects on visible matter. These include observing the rotation of galaxies, studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, and conducting experiments with particle accelerators.

5. What are the implications of discovering dark anti-matter?

The discovery of dark anti-matter would greatly impact our understanding of the universe and its formation. It could also potentially lead to advancements in technology, such as new energy sources and propulsion systems. Additionally, studying dark anti-matter could help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics.