Balancing forces on a bicycle wheel

In summary, the forces acting on the wheel of a bicycle on an incline with the brake on include the weight of the bicycle through the center of the wheel, the friction force opposing the weight and acting at ground level, and the reaction force of the brake through the center of the wheel. Newton's 3rd Law applies to all forces involved. The normal force on the wheels adds up to the component of weight perpendicular to the incline, while the friction force balances the component of weight parallel to the ground. The torque from the friction and weight forces is opposed by the torque from the brake.
peanutaxis
Hi, (this is not a homework question)

If I have a bicycle with COM, M (in line with the center of the wheels, C) on an incline, angle Φ, and the bicycle is NOT moving at all because the brake is on at B.

I am trying to put in the forces acting on the wheel. I figure that the weight of the bicycle is probably acting through the center of the wheel because the COM is at the same height (would this change if the COM was in a different place?). And because the wheel is not moving laterally I figure the friction force is opposing the weight, but acting at ground level.

The brake is preventing the wheel from turning CCW, and so I think the ?? force from the brake needs to also be mgsinΦ in a CW direction. But the problem is that if I put the brake/?? force in, the static/overall forces on the wheel won't balance and the wheel should move off in the direction of the ?? force.

Help!?
thanks

jfz0bp.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
peanutaxis said:
I figure that the weight of the bicycle is probably acting through the center of the wheel because the COM is at the same height (would this change if the COM was in a different place?). And because the wheel is not moving laterally I figure the friction force is opposing the weight, but acting at ground level.
First of all, force from the frame is acting on center, right. That's property of the axis, so it will not change even if CoM is higher/lower.

You are also correct that the friction will be equal to weight's projection along the incline. No problem there.

What you are forgetting about is Newton's 3rd Law for the brake. If brake is applying force on wheel, wheel is applying force back on the brake. That force would accelerate the bike backwards if it weren't attached to the wheel. So rather than just bike's weight, front wheel experiences bike's weight plus the reaction force of the brake through it's center.

Now you can balance the tangential forces. Keep in mind that you also have normal forces on the wheel, and that normal force on the two wheels together adds up to component of weight perpendicular to the incline.

K^2 said:
What you are forgetting about is Newton's 3rd Law for the brake. If brake is applying force on wheel, wheel is applying force back on the brake.

But the whole thing is stationary, so Newton's 3rd applies to everything! So that doesn't help me: The wheel is pushing on the ground equally and opposite to the Friction force pushing on the wheel, and the wheel is pulling on the bicycle mass equally and opposite to the bicycle mass pulling on the wheel.

What I am trying to do is find the forces acting on the wheel.
The wheel is not moving laterally, so the friction force must be opposed equally by the bicycle weight.
The wheel is not rotating, so the torque due to the friction and the weight force must be opposed equally by the torque from the brake? How do you work these out?

thanks,
p

The component of the bike's weight perpendicular to the ground is balanced by force of the Earth on the wheels. Since the bike is on slanted ground there is also a component of weight parallel to the ground. That will be balanced by the friction force on the wheels which is transmitted to the brakes that prevent the wheels from turning.

I would first commend you for considering all the forces at play in this situation. It is important to accurately account for all forces in order to understand the overall balance and movement of the bicycle wheel.

I agree with your assessment that the weight of the bicycle is acting through the center of the wheel and that the friction force is opposing it at ground level. This is because the wheel is not moving laterally, as you mentioned.

However, I would like to clarify that the position of the COM does not affect the direction of the weight force. The weight force always acts vertically downward, regardless of the position of the COM.

Regarding the brake/?? force, I believe you are referring to the force of the brake acting on the wheel. In this case, the brake is preventing the wheel from turning counterclockwise, so the force of the brake should be acting in the clockwise direction. This force is usually referred to as the "braking force" and it is indeed necessary to include it in your analysis.

It is possible that when you add the braking force to your analysis, the forces may not appear to be in balance. This could be due to a couple of factors. First, it is important to accurately measure and account for all forces, including the weight of the bicycle, the friction force, and the braking force. Second, it is possible that there may be other external forces at play, such as wind or uneven terrain, that could affect the balance of forces.

If you are still struggling to find a balance of forces, I would suggest revisiting your measurements and calculations to ensure they are accurate. Additionally, you could try varying the angle of the incline or the strength of the braking force to see how it affects the overall balance of forces on the wheel.

In conclusion, balancing forces on a bicycle wheel is a complex but important task in understanding the dynamics of the bicycle. By accurately measuring and accounting for all forces, we can gain a better understanding of how the wheel will behave in different situations. Keep up the good work in your analysis and don't be afraid to seek help or guidance when needed. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is the purpose of balancing forces on a bicycle wheel?

The purpose of balancing forces on a bicycle wheel is to ensure that the wheel rotates smoothly and evenly. This helps to improve the overall stability and performance of the bicycle.

2. How are forces balanced on a bicycle wheel?

Forces are balanced on a bicycle wheel by adjusting the distribution of weight around the wheel. This can be achieved by adding or removing weights or by adjusting the position of existing weights on the wheel.

3. What happens if forces are not balanced on a bicycle wheel?

If forces are not balanced on a bicycle wheel, it can cause the wheel to wobble or vibrate while in motion. This can make it difficult to control the bicycle and can also lead to uneven wear and tear on the tire.

4. Can balancing forces on a bicycle wheel improve its lifespan?

Yes, balancing forces on a bicycle wheel can improve its lifespan. By ensuring that the wheel rotates smoothly, it reduces the amount of stress and strain on the wheel and its components, thus increasing its longevity.

5. Is it necessary to balance the forces on both the front and rear wheels of a bicycle?

Yes, it is important to balance the forces on both the front and rear wheels of a bicycle. This helps to maintain overall stability and balance while riding, and can also prevent premature wear and tear on one wheel due to uneven distribution of weight.