Linear actuators for mechanical project

In summary, the person is looking for help finding two fast linear actuators for their project that can be controlled by an Arduino logic board. The minimum speed and load requirements are 100 mm/s and 5kg respectively, with a frequency of approximately 10 Hz. They have not been able to find suitable actuators online and someone suggests overvolting a specific linear actuator or contacting a company for recommendations. The maximum travel needed is 18" and a specific product is recommended with the suggestion to use a DPDT relay or high-current analog switch IC for control.
aortucre
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out here. I'm working on a project that needs two fast linear actuators which I'm planning to control with the Arduino logic board, but I can't seem to find anything that suits what I need. Here are the specs.

-Type of actuator: Linear
-Minimum acceptable speed: 100 mm/s
-Minimum acceptable load: 5kg
-Input: Signal from Arduino UNO logic board
-Frequency: Approx 10 Hz

I would appreciate any help that you guys could give me. All the actuators that I've found online are either too weak or too slow.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dependent on the duty cycle required you could possibly overvolt http://www.servocity.com/html/25_lbs__thrust_linear_actuator.html
these @ 24VDC and get the 100mm/sec required.
If the actuators need to run more than intermittently, I would contact ServoCity about their recommendations. They've been easy to work with for this sort of thing in my experience.

Max travel?

Jupiter6 said:
Max travel?

Around 18"

1. What is a linear actuator?

A linear actuator is a type of mechanical device that converts rotational motion into linear motion. It typically consists of a motor, a screw or belt mechanism, and a rod or shaft that moves in a straight line. It is commonly used in various mechanical projects to control the position or movement of an object.

2. How do linear actuators work?

Linear actuators work by converting the rotational motion of a motor into linear motion through the use of a screw or belt mechanism. The motor rotates the screw or belt, which in turn moves the rod or shaft attached to it in a straight line. By controlling the rotation of the motor, the speed and direction of the linear motion can be controlled.

3. What are the different types of linear actuators?

There are several types of linear actuators, including electric, hydraulic, and pneumatic. Electric linear actuators use an electric motor to drive the mechanism, while hydraulic and pneumatic actuators use fluids or air pressure to generate linear motion. Within these categories, there are also different designs and sizes of actuators to suit different applications.

4. What are the advantages of using linear actuators in mechanical projects?

Linear actuators offer several advantages in mechanical projects, such as precise and controlled movement, high force output, compact size, and ease of integration. They can also be automated and controlled remotely, making them suitable for a wide range of applications in industries such as robotics, manufacturing, and automotive.

5. How do I choose the right linear actuator for my project?

When choosing a linear actuator for a mechanical project, it is important to consider factors such as the required force and speed, the available space and mounting options, the power source, and the environmental conditions. It is also important to ensure that the actuator is compatible with other components in the project and to consider the cost and lifespan of the actuator.