Singlet oxygen in combustion-(Why is it not being used)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of singlet oxygen in combustion reactions and its potential benefits in increasing combustion efficiency. The question is raised as to why singlet oxygen is not being used in automobiles, with concerns about controlling its production and potential safety issues. The conversation also clarifies the difference between singlet oxygen and monoatomic oxygen.
hobbs125
Over the last few days I have been studing combusiton reactions.
I have found numerous papers that all state singlet oxygen can increase the combustion efficiency.

My question is: Why is singlet oxygen not being used in todays automibiles?

It seems to me the only issue would be controlling the rate of singlet oxygen production in changing environments...

Just curious?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Question is if it is economically feasible to install converter in a car, and whether energy consumed by the converter will not lower the total performance.

Borek said:
Question is if it is economically feasible to install converter in a car, and whether energy consumed by the converter will not lower the total performance.

Maybe safety is an issue, too. Couldn't singlet oxygen react with diatomic oxygen to form ozone?

Are you sure you are not mistaking singlet oxygen for monoatomic oxygen? Quick googling shows that - if anything - it is exactly the opposite, it is ozone that produces single oxygen while reacting with organic molecules.

Besides, the idea is to use the singlet oxygen for combustion, so it shouldn't leave the engine.

Borek said:
Are you sure you are not mistaking singlet oxygen for monoatomic oxygen? Quick googling shows that - if anything - it is exactly the opposite, it is ozone that produces single oxygen while reacting with organic molecules.

Besides, the idea is to use the singlet oxygen for combustion, so it shouldn't leave the engine.

Yes, I mistook monotonic oxygen for singlet oxygen.
Sorry. At least, this time, I asked before I answered.

1. What is singlet oxygen?

Singlet oxygen is an excited state of the oxygen molecule, also known as O2(a^1Δg). It is formed when oxygen gas is exposed to energy, such as heat or light, and has a higher energy level than the ground state oxygen (O2(X^3Σg)).

2. How does singlet oxygen contribute to combustion?

Singlet oxygen is highly reactive and can easily react with other molecules, making it a key player in combustion reactions. It can react with hydrocarbons and other fuels to produce more energy and speed up the combustion process.

3. Why is singlet oxygen not being used in combustion processes?

Although singlet oxygen has great potential for improving combustion efficiency and reducing emissions, it is not currently being used on a large scale due to the challenges of producing and controlling it in a controlled and cost-effective manner.

4. What are the obstacles in utilizing singlet oxygen in combustion?

The main obstacles in utilizing singlet oxygen in combustion include the high energy and cost required to produce it, as well as the difficulty in controlling its reactivity and preventing unwanted reactions.

5. Are there any current research efforts to utilize singlet oxygen in combustion?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to explore the potential of singlet oxygen in combustion. Scientists are looking into new methods for producing and controlling singlet oxygen, as well as developing ways to use it in specific combustion processes for improved efficiency and reduced emissions.