Basis of Vectors: Definition & Examples

In summary, a basis allows you to represent any vector in a vector space as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors. If a vector does not have a unique linear expression in terms of the basis vectors, then the vector is not a basis.
SherlockOhms
So, I know that for a set of vectors to be a basis the set of vectors must be linearly independent and also must be a spanning set of vectors. So, they can't be parallel. I still feel that I'm not fully understanding what a basis is. Could someone explain to me, maybe with an example, what is a basis? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A basis allows you to represent any vector in the vector space as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors in said basis. This is the main utility of a basis. For example you can represent any vector in ##\mathbb{R}^{3}## as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors ##e_{1} = (1,0,0)^T, e_{2} = (0,1,0)^{T}, e_{3} = (0,0,1)^{T}##.

Likes 1 person
In R2:

{(1,0),(0,1)} is a basis. Given a vector (a,b) I can write it as a(1,0)+b(0,1) uniquely.

{(1,0),(1,1)} is a basis. Given a vector (a,b) I can write it as (a-b)*(1,0)+b*(1,1) and this is the only way to do it.

{(1,0)} is not a basis because it does not span the set of vectors

{(1,0),(2,4),(-1,1)} is not a basis because the vectors are linearly dependent. I can write (2,4) = 4*(-1,1)+6*(1,0)In R3 some examples of bases:
{(1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,0,1)}
{(1,0,0),(1,1,0),(1,1,1)}
{(-1,14,12),(2,0,11),(65.3,114,-9)}

The last one might not be immediately obvious that it is a basis, but the first and second one you should be able to prove. Some examples that are not bases:

{(1,0,0),(14,12,10)}. This doesn't have enough vectors to span R3 (once you know the size of one basis is 3, all bases must be size 3), so it can't be a basis. After a little thought you should be able to explain why the vector (0,1,0) is not in the span of these two vectors.

{(1,0,0),(0,1,0),(1,1,0)} has the right number of vectors, but is still not a basis. (1,1,0) is in the span of (1,0,0) and (0,1,0) so the vectors are not linearly independent, and they also are not a spanning set - (0,0,1) is not in the span.

{(1,0,0),(0,1,0),(1,1,1),(1245,-9034,1234)} Has too many vectors, so cannot be a basis. You should be able to express (1245,-9034,1234) as a linear combination of the other three vectors. This one is at least a spanning set though, if that counts for anything

Likes 1 person
Thanks for that, lads. So, any arbitrary vector in R^3 can only be expressed in one way only in terms the 3 other vectors which form the basis of R^3? There's never an exception to this?

SherlockOhms said:
Thanks for that, lads. So, any arbitrary vector in R^3 can only be expressed in one way only in terms the 3 other vectors which form the basis of R^3? There's never an exception to this?
By definition, any vector in R^3 MUST have a unique linear expression in terms of a chosen basis for R^3. Now the basis that I wrote above isn't the only basis you can pick for R^3. There are many bases you can pick so a given vector in R^3 has many different expansions in terms of different bases.

Likes 1 person
Right, I've got it now. Thanks again.

A basis also allows you to describe a transformation fully by describing its effect on basis vectors
(this is what a matrix does, w.respect to linear transformations). Given that in most cases (we're excluding
here, e.g., vector spaces over finite fields) your spaces will contain infinitely-many vectors, this is a big
plus.

Re the uniqueness, assume (using a fixed basis for R^3 for definiteness; I think the generalization to other finite-dimensional vector spaces is clear) the representation in terms of a fixed basis {v1,v2,v3} is not unique, so that we can write some v as:

v=a1*v1+a2*v2+a3*v3 , and as:

v=c1*v1+c2*v2+c3*v3

For triples (a1,a2,a3) , (c1,c2,c3) of scalars in your bases field; and neither triple has all zeros.

Now, subtract one representation of v from the other, to get:

(a1-c1)*v1+(a2-c2)*v2+(a3-c3)*v3=0

Since the individual triples are not all zeros, this difference is a non-zero linear
combination of basis vectors that gives you a zero. This is a contradiction of the
assumption that {v1,v2,v3} is a basis.

What is the definition of a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by a line segment with an arrow on one end, and the length of the line segment represents the magnitude while the direction of the arrow represents the direction.

What are some examples of vectors?

Some common examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, acceleration, force, and electric and magnetic fields. Geometric objects such as lines, planes, and triangles can also be represented as vectors.

What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A scalar is a mathematical object that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars are represented by single numbers, while vectors are represented by line segments with arrows.

How are vectors used in real-world applications?

Vectors are used in a variety of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, navigation, and computer graphics. They are used to represent physical quantities and their direction, and can be used to model and predict motion and forces.

What is the basis of vectors?

The basis of vectors refers to a set of linearly independent vectors that form the building blocks for creating other vectors. These basis vectors are typically chosen to be perpendicular to each other and have a magnitude of 1, making it easier to perform calculations and transformations on vectors.