Voltmeter: Concept of Letting Rg Be Resistance of Galvanometer

In summary, the formula is correct, but the form in which it is written is not appropriate for use in circuit analysis.
nil1996
galvanometer-to-voltmeter.gif

let Rg be the resistance of the galavanometer.

A formula in my book states that
V=Ig(Rg+R)

my doubt is:
here Ig(Rg+R) is the potential drop across the two resistors of the voltmeter.
But how can this include the potential drop by the circuit element across which the voltmeter is connected.

Physics news on Phys.org
While you have the voltmeter in circuit, it is in parallel with whatever it is connected to and may affect that voltage slightly.

There will be a voltage across the voltmeter which is the same as the voltage in the circuit.

This voltage causes a current to flow in the galvanometer which is calibrated to give a correct reading for whatever voltage it is connected to.

This calibration is done by adjusting the series resistor so that the combined voltmeter resistance causes exactly the right current to flow through the galvanometer for the applied voltage to match the voltage indicated on the voltmeter dial.

Is the formula correct?

Yes, the formula is correct.

Why do you have a problem with it?

Assuming the resistance of the voltmeter is large compared with the resistance it is being measured across, it will draw sufficient current to make the meter needle deflect and give a voltage reading.

Did you read the explanation I gave above?

I am weak at concepts of current electricity.
Here i am not understanding is ig(Rg+R) will give me voltage drop by the resistors of the voltmeter itself.
so the voltage measured by this formula will give me the voltage drop by its own resistors.How can i get the voltage drop done by a circuit component by using this formula.

The formula is correct, but maybe not appropriate in that form.

If you rearrange it to read Ig = V / (Rg + R) it becomes more useful.

The resistors are constant in value, so the current depends only on the voltage.

This is a voltmeter so the starting point must be the voltage. As you change the voltage, the current changes and so does the deflection on the galvanometer needle.

nil1996 said:
A formula in my book states that
V=Ig(Rg+R)

my doubt is:
here Ig(Rg+R) is the potential drop across the two resistors of the voltmeter.
But how can this include the potential drop by the circuit element across which the voltmeter is connected.
The circuit element doesn't count in this. the measured V is the Potential difference across the terminals. If the (total) resistance of the voltmeter is significantly low then the current it draws may affect the voltage situation at that part of the circuit (it is another resistance in parallel with the circuit element). This is why you need a voltmeter to have a high enough internal resistance for any current it takes to be 'negligible'. Remember, measurement of anything will disturb the system. The same problem exists with an Ammeter. All ammeters have some finite series resistance (non-zero) so the current passing through them will introduce a voltage drop, which affects the current..
The only way to measure the V and I reliably in a circuit is to leave the meters in place all the time. If you remove the meters then the Vs and Is all round the circuit will change minutely.

1. What is a voltmeter and how does it work?

A voltmeter is an instrument used to measure the voltage or potential difference between two points in an electric circuit. It works by connecting it in parallel with the component or circuit being measured, and the voltage is then displayed on a scale.

2. What is the concept of "letting Rg be the resistance of the galvanometer" in a voltmeter?

In order to measure voltage, a voltmeter needs to have a high resistance so that it does not draw a significant amount of current from the circuit being measured. The "Rg" refers to the internal resistance of the galvanometer, which is used to measure small currents. By letting Rg be the resistance of the galvanometer, it ensures that the voltmeter has a high overall resistance and does not affect the circuit being measured.

3. Why is it important to consider the resistance of the galvanometer in a voltmeter?

The resistance of the galvanometer is important because it affects the accuracy of the voltmeter's measurements. If the resistance is too low, it will draw too much current from the circuit and change the voltage being measured. By letting Rg be the resistance of the galvanometer, it ensures that the voltmeter has a high resistance and does not disturb the circuit being measured.

4. How is the resistance of the galvanometer determined in a voltmeter?

The resistance of the galvanometer is usually determined by the manufacturer and is listed in the instrument's specifications. It can also be calculated by dividing the full-scale voltage of the voltmeter by the full-scale current of the galvanometer. For example, if a voltmeter has a full-scale voltage of 10V and the galvanometer has a full-scale current of 0.001A, then the resistance of the galvanometer would be 10,000 ohms.

5. Can the resistance of the galvanometer be adjusted in a voltmeter?

In some voltmeters, the resistance of the galvanometer can be adjusted to increase the range or sensitivity of the instrument. However, this should only be done if the voltmeter has a built-in calibration feature or if you are an experienced technician. Otherwise, it is best to leave the resistance as it is to ensure accurate measurements.