Using a USB HDD to Boot an OS: Advice Needed

• Thread starter inotyce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Os Usb
In summary: USB 3 is limited to 2.5" drives--you can't use a larger drive.PCs can't boot from USB? Seriously? I'm actually booting from USB 2 right now due to a busted firewire port. System runs fine, but I assume things could be faster.In summary, a USB HDD is an external hard drive that plugs into a USB port. It is usually an ATA drive, but can be a 3.5" or 2.5" drive. It is bus powered. USB 3 is limited to 2.5" drives, but PCs can't usually boot from USB.
inotyce
I would like to buy a USB HDD, e.g http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Transce...lack/3930191.p?id=1218443230635&skuId=3930191
but my experience with USB HDD is limited after one USB HDD (LogicGate) of mine failed to re-operate suddenly and I lost all of my data; and I have never tried out any more USB HDDs since then.

Do you have any advice for me in using a USB HDD to store an OS and have it booted from there ? Like normal lager HDs in most desktop computers ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
A USB hard drive is invariably an ATA drive of some kind in a case with a USB adaptor. If you know what kind of drive is inside the case, its reliability will be the same in a USB case or inside a desktop case. The only difference is that the extra step of going through USB will likely limit the speed of the drive.

Is this USB 2 or 3? Is it a 3.5 inch drive, or 2.5? If 2.5 or smaller, is it bus powered?

Algr said:
A USB hard drive is invariably an ATA drive of some kind in a case with a USB adaptor. If you know what kind of drive is inside the case, its reliability will be the same in a USB case or inside a desktop case. The only difference is that the extra step of going through USB will likely limit the speed of the drive.

Is this USB 2 or 3? Is it a 3.5 inch drive, or 2.5? If 2.5 or smaller, is it bus powered?
Thank you :biggrin: it is USB 3 (2.5" sold at $89.99)

This will work for Mac's, but for Windows, it is not usually done to try to boot from USB drives.

PCs can't boot from USB? Seriously? I'm actually booting from USB 2 right now due to a busted firewire port. System runs fine, but I assume things could be faster.

Last edited:
I didn't say it wouldn't work--but the USB drive's version of Windows probably only works with that particular CPU and hardware. Whereas with a Mac, for example, you could take it to another computer and still use it to boot from. Given that USB drives are often slower, I would not recommend it as a way to boot Windows.

1. Can any USB HDD be used to boot an OS?

No, not all USB HDDs can be used to boot an OS. The USB HDD must have a compatible operating system installed on it and the computer's BIOS must support booting from a USB device.

2. What are the advantages of using a USB HDD to boot an OS?

Using a USB HDD to boot an OS allows for portability and convenience. It also frees up space on the computer's internal hard drive.

3. Are there any limitations to using a USB HDD to boot an OS?

Yes, there are limitations. The USB HDD may not be as fast as an internal hard drive, and it may not be compatible with all computers. Additionally, there may be limitations on the size of the USB HDD that can be used for booting an OS.

4. How do I set up my USB HDD to boot an OS?

First, you will need to install an operating system onto the USB HDD. Then, you will need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS to prioritize the USB HDD over the internal hard drive. Finally, you may need to make any necessary adjustments to the boot settings in your operating system.

5. Can I still use my USB HDD for storage after using it to boot an OS?

Yes, you can still use your USB HDD for storage after using it to boot an OS. However, it is recommended to have a separate USB HDD for booting an OS to avoid any potential data loss or corruption.

Back