So, the webpage title could be: Collision Force: How is it Determined?

In summary, the conversation discusses the constant acceleration of an object when a force of 60N is applied to it once, and the maximum force it applies in a collision. The consensus is that the object will accelerate at a rate of 6m/s/s for as long as the force is applied, and the force applied in a collision depends on the deceleration and the time taken for the object to stop.
Miraj Kayastha
I have a confusion:
If we push an object of 10 kg with force of 60N once, does it accelerate constantly with 6m/s/s forever neglecting any resistance ?

So, does this mean if this moving object collides with something the maximum force it applies is 60N?

Physics news on Phys.org
I probably shouldn't be answering stuff because I am new too. But I'll have a crack at it anyway.

P=mv where p is momentum and momentum is conserved. However you said it was only pushed once with 60N which makes me wonder if it would have a constant acceleration of 6m/s/s. I would have thought it would require a force acting on it to achieve constant acceleration. Otherwise it may have uniform motion of 6 m/s meaning 10kg multiplied by 6 which equals 60N.

In that case yes it would hit something with 60N of force. But I am assuming this is a object in space with no resistance or opposing forces acting on it.

Miraj Kayastha said:
I have a confusion:
If we push an object of 10 kg with force of 60N once, does it accelerate constantly with 6m/s/s forever neglecting any resistance ?
No, it accelerates at that rate for as long as the force is applied, and when the force is no longer applied it stops accelerating and coasts along at whatever speed it reached while the force was being applied. In your example, the acceleration is ##\frac{6m}{sec^2}##, so if the force is applied for five seconds, the object will be moving at 30 m/sec.

So, does this mean if this moving object collides with something the maximum force it applies is 60N?
No. The force applied in the collision depends on the deceleration. If our object collides with something very hard and immobile, it might only compress the target by .1 mm before being brought to rest. If our object is moving at 20 meters/sec when it hits and it's stopped cold after covering .1 mm, its average speed during the collision is 10 meters/sec (average of 20 and 0), it takes .00001 seconds to cover that .0001 meters, the deceleration is 2000000 ##\frac{m}{sec^2}##, and the force (which isn't applied for very long - think hammer blow) is 12000000 N.

Repeat this calculation with something soft and squishy, so that it compresses by 10 centimeters, and you'll get a much smaller force.

Likes 1 person
For your first question, the answer is yes. It will constantly increase its speed but the rate of change of the speed is constant (acceleration is constant).

MHR-Love said:
For your first question, the answer is yes. It will constantly increase its speed but the rate of change of the speed is constant (acceleration is constant).

You should read the post immediately before yours.

Likes 1 person
Yes you are right. I've just read it again. It's a bad thing from me not to read the word "once". In this case, Nugatory's answer is correct.

@Nugatory , isn't the force applied is 20000000 and not 12000000 because the mass is 10kg not 6 kg...!

Likes 1 person
ajayguhan said:
@Nugatory , isn't the force applied is 20000000 and not 12000000 because the mass is 10kg not 6 kg...!

thanks - good catch.

Miraj Kayastha said:
Collision force is given by the formula

##F=\frac{mv-mu}{t}##

-Where u=Initial velocity ,v= final velocity

For example,Object was traveling at a constant velocity and has the same.
It gets in contact with a wall or something,the force exerted is determined by the time taken for it to stop.

1. How is force of 60N defined?

The force of 60N is a measure of the strength or intensity of a push or pull on an object. It is defined as the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram at a rate of 60 meters per second squared.

2. Is the force of 60N always constant?

No, the force of 60N can vary depending on the circumstances. It is considered constant if the mass and acceleration remain the same. However, if there are changes in either the mass or acceleration, the force of 60N will also change.

3. Can the force of 60N be measured?

Yes, the force of 60N can be measured using a tool called a force meter or a spring scale. These tools use the principle of Hooke's law to measure the amount of force being applied to an object.

4. How does the force of 60N affect the motion of an object?

The force of 60N can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or remain at a constant velocity. The direction of the force also plays a role in the motion of an object, as it can cause the object to move in a specific direction.

5. Can the force of 60N be converted to other units?

Yes, the force of 60N can be converted to other units such as pounds or dynes. 1N is equal to approximately 0.225 pounds and 100,000 dynes. It is important to note that the value of force will remain the same, only the unit of measurement will change.