by ChromeBit
Tags: circuit, design
Share this thread:
jim hardy
Feb27-14, 04:30 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,686
So many circuit questions on this board could be easily resolved with a microP but there is a learning curve to using them. I got past that learning curve and now I might use a tiny microP where in the past I would have used a 555 timer.
I appreciate that μp's make it easy on the designer.
But not so for any poor fellow who might be tasked to repair the thing. Only the programmer knows what that micro is supposed to be doing.

The few embedded micros i've designed, i included LED status lights to give a clue as to program status and I/O troubles. That concept seemed foreign to some programmers i've worked with.

So please - make your microprocessor leave a clue as to why it quit doing whatever it was doing before it quit doing it ... (is there a grammarian in the house?)

old jim
meBigGuy
Feb27-14, 07:34 PM
P: 1,084
We are doomed to a future where intern programmers will decide how we will interact with the world. This is true at every level, from the gmail user interface (I have a list of 43 terrible things about gmail that google will never fix) to what my microwave does when I press 1. I know what sort of crap goes on inside an embedded uP because I'm guilty of designing the hardware that requires it (which results in removing as much as 1 cent from the BOM). An LED to tell you something when it doesn't work? Fuhgeddaaboudit!
jim hardy
Feb28-14, 12:32 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,686
We are doomed to a future where intern programmers will decide how we will interact with the world.
That's why i have a '68 Ford pickup truck.
No ECU
No Metric Bolts
No Problems !

No payments, either .
psparky
Feb28-14, 05:15 AM
PF Gold
P: 754
Quote Quote by jim hardy View Post
That's why i have a '68 Ford pickup truck.
No ECU
No Metric Bolts
No Problems !

No payments, either .
Post some pics of that bad boy if ya don't mind.
meBigGuy
Feb28-14, 02:12 PM
P: 1,084
I have a 69 landcruiser FJ40. Used to have an electronic ignition (aftermarket) but of course that failed on a trip through Yellowstone. Had to rewire on the road. The old systems still used the points, so I just re-wired the coil. But, I'd rather have a later model with disc brakes. Put that baby in low gear and you can drive through places you wouldn't want to walk. But, not a useful as a pickup so I have a 1 cord capacity trailer for it.

Register to reply