Bragg Angles and Thermal Expansion

In summary, the problem involves finding the coefficient of linear expansion for copper given the Bragg angles at two different temperatures. Using the equation for lattice constant ratio and linear expansion coefficient, a value of 1.88x10^-5 per kelvin is obtained, which is close to the actual data.
Ichimaru
Problem statement:

The Bragg angles of a certain reflection from copper is 47.75◦ at 20◦C but is 46.60◦ at 1000◦C.
What is the coefficient of linear expansion of copper? (Note: the Bragg angle θ is half of the
measured diffraction (deflection) angle 2θ).

Attempt at solution:

Using \begin{equation} 2d sin( \theta )= n \lambda \end{equation} to find the ratio of d(T=1000) and d(T=20) and saying that this is equal to the lattice constant ratio for those temperatures I found that:

\begin{equation}

\frac{a(T=1000)}{a(T=20)}=\frac{sin( \theta (T=20) )}{sin( \theta ( T= 1000))}

\end{equation}

Which when used in the equation for the linear expansion coefficient, kappa:

\begin{equation}

\kappa = \frac{a(T=1000)}{a \Delta T}

\end{equation}

gives a value of 10^{-3} per kelvin, which is about 100 times too large when I compared it to the actual data. I know this is a basic question, but I can't see what I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

\end{equation}

Physics news on Phys.org
The coefficient of thermal expansion is not given by that last formula.
You should have a (Δa) in the formula, the difference between the lattice constants at the two temperatures.

Likes 1 person
Maybe just a little late.. 2 years?
I'm doing this question for PS204 study in DCU.

Lo = n(lambda) / 2Sin47.75
L = n(lambda) / 2Sin46.6
change in L = L - Lo

linear expansion coefficient = (1/Lo)(change in L / change in T)
= (1 - Sin46.6/Sin47.75)(1/980)
=1.88x10^-5

1. What is a Bragg angle?

A Bragg angle is the angle at which X-rays or neutrons diffract off of a crystal lattice. It is determined by the spacing of the lattice and the wavelength of the radiation.

2. How does thermal expansion affect Bragg angles?

Thermal expansion can cause changes in the lattice spacing of crystals, which can in turn affect the Bragg angle. As the temperature increases, the lattice spacing increases, leading to a decrease in the Bragg angle.

3. Why is it important to consider thermal expansion in Bragg angle measurements?

Thermal expansion is important to consider because it can cause errors in Bragg angle measurements, leading to inaccurate results. It is especially important in experiments where precise measurements are required.

4. Can thermal expansion be corrected for in Bragg angle measurements?

Yes, thermal expansion can be corrected for by taking into account the thermal expansion coefficient of the material and the change in lattice spacing with temperature. This correction can be applied to the Bragg angle calculation to obtain more accurate results.

5. How does thermal expansion affect the diffraction pattern in Bragg angle measurements?

Thermal expansion can cause shifts in the diffraction peaks in the diffraction pattern. As the lattice spacing changes with temperature, the positions of the diffraction peaks will also shift. This can be taken into account in the data analysis to obtain accurate results.