Register to reply

Tests for qualitative analysis of bio-plastics/plastics?

by mohnish
Tags: analysis, qualitative, tests
Share this thread:
mohnish
Jul4-14, 08:00 AM
P: 4
Hello!
I am researching on bio-plastics and have created bio-plastics out of two waste products. In order to check that whether I have actually created plastic, I carried out various tests such as testing the tensile strength( 1st batch could withstand 3-4 N and 2nd batch could withstand around 10 N ), insulation ( Both exhibit these properties) and malleability.
Now that I am applying for patents, I feel that I need to carry out some standard experiments which have been carried out by people in order to test a plastic. I have contacted people from the university but to no avail.
If anyone could provide a list of such tests along with proof to verify that those tests are actually carried out by people would be of great help to me.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Faster, cheaper tests for sickle cell disease
Simulations for better transparent oxide layers
Characterizing strontium ruthenate crystals for electrochemical applications
Simon Bridge
Jul4-14, 05:19 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,974
Welcome to PF;
Niggle: If you are measuring things, then it is not qualitative - it is quantitative.

Your description is a bit puzzling:
First you say you have "created" some plastics, and then you appear uncertain that you have "actually" created plastic. So my immediate questions are:

What makes you think you have made any plastic at all?
What makes you suspect that you may not have?

Then you mention the possibility of patents ... what makes you think you have something patentable?
It is unlikely you can patent the actual substance you have made, but that depends on the law in your jurisdiction.

Now to your actual question:
If you want to know what substances you have made, I think the first stop is a mass spectrometer.
You will have to hire a materials scientist in your area to do the tests. This will go double if you anticipate having to convince a court about some features: a court will not take your word for it.

I suspect you do not want to share the details of the process you used to "create bio-plastics" with us here, but if you do not, then there is little we can do to help you.
mohnish
Jul5-14, 12:08 AM
@Simon Bridge

First of all sorry for messing up with the terms.
Second, I do believe that I have created plastics as it exhibits properties as that of a plastic and second according to the research done the final product has to be plastic.
I am not sure about it being plastic as in an experiment I do not know what the final outcome is. It might be plastic or it can be a by-product of me mixing various chemicals together.
Third, I know that I cannot patent the actual thing but I am thinking about patenting the process as it is unique.
As for the details of the process, I can mail it to you if you can give me your email id.

I hope this answers all your queries.
Thanks for replying by the way.

Regards,
Mohnish

Simon Bridge
Jul6-14, 04:18 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,974
Tests for qualitative analysis of bio-plastics/plastics?

Sorry - you will have to hire an industrial chemist.
mohnish
Jul6-14, 06:19 AM
Ok thanks for the help!
Chestermiller
Jul8-14, 01:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 5,263
Get yourself a copy of the Handbook of Plastics Technology. It should provide descriptions of all the physical tests that are commonly done, and may also have advertisements from established testing labs.

Chet
mohnish
Jul8-14, 11:43 PM
@Chestermiller thank you for replying. I will do so ASAP

Register to reply