What is the magnitude of the magnetic field inside the toroid

In summary, a toroid with a square cross section, 5.00 cm on a side, and an inner radius of 16.0 cm has 600 turns and carries a current of 0.700 A. The magnitude of the magnetic field inside the toroid at the inner radius is 5.25e-4 T. The outer radius is not specified and therefore, the magnitude of the magnetic field at the outer radius cannot be calculated.
mr_coffee
A toroid having a square cross section, 5.00 cm on a side, and an inner radius of 16.0 cm has 600 turns and carries a current of 0.700 A. (It is made up of a square solenoid bent into a doughnut shape.)

(a) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field inside the toroid at the inner radius?
5.25e-4 T
(b) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field inside the toroid at the outer radius?
? T

I keep missing part B. I tried:
B = PERMIVITY*n*I
where n = N/(2PI*R);
N is the number of turns:
R is the radius of the toroid. PERMITIVITY = 4PIE-7;
So i plugged in
n = 600/(2PI*.05)
B = 4PIE-7*.700*n which was wrong! any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
square cross section, 5.00 cm on a side, and an inner radius of 16.0 cm
So what is the outer radius?

1. What is a toroid?

A toroid is a three-dimensional shape resembling a donut or a ring, formed by rotating a circle around an axis that lies in the same plane as the circle.

2. What is the magnetic field inside a toroid?

The magnetic field inside a toroid is a circular field that is perpendicular to the axis of the toroid and varies in strength and direction depending on the location within the toroid.

3. How is the magnitude of the magnetic field inside a toroid calculated?

The magnitude of the magnetic field inside a toroid can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀NI/(2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the toroid, I is the current passing through the toroid, and r is the distance from the center of the toroid to the point of interest.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of the magnetic field inside a toroid?

The magnitude of the magnetic field inside a toroid is affected by the number of turns in the toroid, the current passing through the toroid, and the distance from the center of the toroid to the point of interest. It is also affected by the permeability of the material inside the toroid and any external magnetic fields that may be present.

5. How does the magnetic field inside a toroid compare to other shapes?

The magnetic field inside a toroid is stronger and more uniform than the magnetic field inside other shapes, such as a solenoid or a straight wire. This is because the magnetic field lines are confined within the toroid, resulting in a stronger and more concentrated field.