How do we know Gravity Moves the Speed of Light?

In summary, scientists have been trying to figure out how gravity moves at the speed of light for a long time without any success. However, they have some very good guesses based on theories in physics. There is controversy over whether or not light actually travels at the speed of light, but the theory predicts that gravity moves at the same speed.
azneternity
How do we know that gravity moves at the speed of light? What has been done to show this? How do we know that it isn't instantious.

I did a search on these forums and couldn't find a past post about this, but if it has been answered please direct me..:shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
The evidence is mostly heuristic and based on logic. We've never measured the speed of gravitational propagation, and we probably won't for a very long time. That doesn't mean we don't have some very good guesses. You might find these links useful:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/grav_speed.html

http://www.qedcorp.com/pcr/pcr/speedg.html

We know gravitational effects are not instantaneous for a few reasons, not the least of which is the fact that there's no such thing as "instantaneous". Relativity doesn't allow it. Nature seems to hate zeros and infinities with a passion. Most people point to quantum mechanics as proof of the existence of instantaneous (as in the collapse of a state function into an eigencomponent). However, it's fully expected that wavefunction collapse will be a PROCESS, not an EVENT, in the future theory of quantum gravity. We simply have a hard time watching something that most likely takes [tex]10^{-40}[/tex] seconds to finish.
If the above links are difficult to follow and don't seem convincing, it's because, as I said, it's a very complicated question and we have no direct evidence. Only some very good guesses.

Stay tuned for the next 50 years, when (hopefully) someone discovers a viable and testable theory of quantum gravity.

Last edited by a moderator:
One prediction of Einstein's theory of relativity, is that the speed at which changes in location of a mass get propagated to other masses (the speed of gravity) ought to be the same as the speed of light.

A couple of years ago, a widely-reported experiment purported to confirm this prediction with actual results. But it quickly got a lot of criticism for apparently measuring the speed of light itself, rather than gravity. I'm not sure if there have been any further experimental data on this lately.

The Wikipedia entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_gravity is pretty good.

Also see http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/grav_speed.html

I agree caffeine... existence doesn't allow zero's. Only nothingness would. As long as there is a universe and existence.. there are numbers to be found. But nothing is instantaneous? I heard about some military experimenting... that involved instantaneous transmission.

Last edited:
It seems that light, gravity, and any other force field, they ride something which speed is equal C. (?) Could this be a theory? Or is a complete nonsense?

Last edited:
Problem with that, Pippo, is that light is an electromagnetic phenomenon that propagates as a result of the emanation of photons. But gravity is the "bending" of spacetime around mass, a very different thing. Neither one requires the phenomenon to ride on gravitons (or anything else, really). **edit I see you changed your post from 'gravitons' to something generic traveling at velocity c, but i'll just leave mine as is**

If you think of the classic "rubber sheet" analogy, a large ball placed on a taut rubber sheet will bend the sheet a bit, similar to how mass bends spacetime. If you roll that ball across the sheet, the indentation it created will move, too. But the indentation won't move instantaneously, because it takes time for the sheet to react to the changed position of the ball. Similarly, as a bit of matter moves through the universe, its gravitational effect propagates around it not instantaneously, but at a given speed -- the speed at which spacetime reacts to the changed position -- the speed of gravity. It just happens that relativity theory predicts that this speed is the same as the speed of light.

Last edited:
Hooloovoo said:
Problem with that, Pippo, is that light is an electromagnetic phenomenon that propagates as a result of the emanation of photons. But gravity is the "bending" of spacetime around mass, a very different thing. ...

I fully agree with you this is relativity, but when we say that photons are emanated we also accept that they move, the point is this why they move ? I mean what ìs the reason for which an elettromagnetic fields propagate?

If Gravitational influences propagate like em waves, then they will be subject to the same basic speed limit, but there are other phenomena that appear to make their way instantaneously such as photon entanglement. Field effects may not be governed by the cosmological properties that determine light velocity - The precession of Mercury is usually cited in support of the premise that Gravity travels at c, but several other ideas have been put forth challenging that conclusion. The issue has been raised several times on this forum.

azneternity said:
How do we know that gravity moves at the speed of light? What has been done to show this? How do we know that it isn't instantious.
I did a search on these forums and couldn't find a past post about this, but if it has been answered please direct me..:shy:

lol, gravity doesn't bend the speed of light, it bends light itself. implying an object. this called gravitational lensing. and how do we know? we tested this theory of Einstein's during an eclipse not too long ago.

cd

The best way to show the speed of the 'graviton," is to first invent an anti-gravity shield. Then quickly removing the shield would allow the acting force of gravity to be measured. Maybe someone has ideas on how to do that?!

robert Ihnot said:
The best way to show the speed of the 'graviton," is to first invent an anti-gravity shield. Then quickly removing the shield would allow the acting force of gravity to be measured. Maybe someone has ideas on how to do that?!

Perhaps something can be observed in between the Earth and the moon in the point where the effect of the gravity is equal to zero (?).

Last edited:
We could make a small black hole with photons, although i do not believe it would be physicaly possible at our current technology level... Hmmm do photons have gravity fields themselves? if they do scrach my idea =)

1. How do we know that gravity moves at the speed of light?

Scientists have observed that the speed of gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by massive objects moving through it, travel at the speed of light. This was confirmed by the detection of gravitational waves in 2015 by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).

2. Can gravity move faster or slower than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel. Since gravity is a fundamental force in the universe, it must also obey this speed limit and cannot move faster or slower than the speed of light.

3. How does gravity move at the speed of light when its effects seem to be instantaneous?

Although the effects of gravity may seem to be instantaneous, they actually travel at the speed of light. This is because gravity is a distortion of space-time, and any changes in space-time propagate at the speed of light.

4. Is the speed of gravity affected by the mass of an object?

No, the speed of gravity is not affected by the mass of an object. This is because the speed of light is a universal constant, and gravity is a result of the curvature of space-time, rather than the mass of an object.

5. How does the speed of gravity compare to the speed of other forces, such as electromagnetism?

The speed of gravity and the speed of other forces, such as electromagnetism, are both equal to the speed of light. However, they have different properties and behave differently, making them distinct forces in the universe.