Equilibrium of a Rigid Body Under Coplanar Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a truss and a rotating object. The main question is to find the tension in the tie rope and the center of rotation, respectively. The solution to the truss problem involves using the moments at the contact points and the apex. For the rotating object, the center of rotation is calculated using the formula for center of mass, and the tension is calculated using the formula for net force. The conversation ends with the question of whether there are any errors in the calculation.
Jordan_
I have a pretty tricky question here and I can't seem to figure it out. I just maybe need a slight hint?

A truss is made by hinging two uniform, 150N rafters. They rest on an essentially frictionless floor and are held together by a tie rope. A 500N load is held at their apex. Find the tension in the tie rope. ANS: 280N

Both rafters are 3m long and the tie rope is tied around them 0.5m from the bottoms.

I've been playing with this for quite a while now so any little hints would be appreciated. Maybe something that could put me in the right direction. Like for instance I'm having trouble knowing where to draw the FBD from. The hinge at the top? Or the bottom?

Physics news on Phys.org
If both contact points of the beams are aligned (string is horizontal) then you can take moment by one of the contact points and find the normal force, then you can take moment by the apex and find the tension.

Okay thanks man! I used what you said and eventually figured it out. Interesting how it looks so hard but once you know how to do it - it seems almost like common sense :shy: .

I have one more though. I have done most of the work, but the answer I'm getting isn't the right one. Let's see what you think.

For the rotating object below determine the center of rotation, as well as the tension in the masless rods, if w = 1.0 rad/s.

(Picture of a triangle, each point being a ball, connected with rods to each other.

An equilateral triangle. All masses are 1.0kg.

ANS: (Rcm = 0.5, 0.29) and (T = 1/3 N)

To get the center of mass I did:

Rcm = [1(0, 0) + 1(0.5, 0.87) + 1(1, 0)]/3

Rcm = (0.5, 0.29)

Once I had that, I went for the radius from my starting point (0,0) to it's center of mass. Using the pyththeorem c^2 = 0.5^2 + 0.29^2 I got c = 0.58.

Using the formula:

Fnet = (m)(w^2)(R)
T = (1)(1^2)(0.58)
T = 0.58 N ?

Not the correct answer it seems. Where have I gone wrong?

Last edited:
i can't see anything you may have done wrong, anyone else see diffrently

1. What is the definition of equilibrium of a rigid body under coplanar forces?

The equilibrium of a rigid body under coplanar forces refers to a state in which the body remains at rest or in a state of constant, uniform motion due to the balanced forces acting on it in the same plane.

2. How do you determine if a rigid body is in equilibrium?

To determine if a rigid body is in equilibrium, the sum of all the forces acting on the body must be equal to zero and the sum of all the torques (rotational forces) acting on the body must also be equal to zero. This means that the body is not experiencing any unbalanced forces or moments, and therefore, remains in a state of equilibrium.

3. What are the conditions for a rigid body to be in equilibrium under coplanar forces?

The conditions for a rigid body to be in equilibrium under coplanar forces are that the sum of all the forces acting on the body must be equal to zero, and the sum of all the torques acting on the body must also be equal to zero. Additionally, the forces must act on different points of the body and must be parallel or concurrent.

4. How do you calculate the forces and moments required to maintain equilibrium in a rigid body?

To calculate the forces and moments required to maintain equilibrium in a rigid body, you can use the equations of static equilibrium. These equations state that the sum of all the forces in the x-direction, y-direction, and z-direction must be equal to zero, and the sum of all the torques about any point must also be equal to zero.

5. What are some real-life examples of equilibrium of a rigid body under coplanar forces?

Some real-life examples of equilibrium of a rigid body under coplanar forces include a book resting on a table, a ladder leaning against a wall, and a see-saw with two people of equal weight on either side. In all these cases, the forces acting on the body are balanced and the body remains in a state of equilibrium.