Object being pushed up an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation is about finding the mass of an object on an inclined plane using the given information of the angle, force required to move the object, and mu of static friction. The suggestion is made to draw a free body diagram and solve for the weight, which will give the mass. The relationship between the friction force and muN is mentioned as a key component in solving the problem.
Bushman
I can't figure out how to get the mass of this object, with the information given:

Inclined plane with angle relative to the ground of 20 degrees.

It takes 70 Newtons to get the object moving up the plane.

"Mu" of static friction: 0.35

All my example problems involve an object going down an inclined plane. I have been working on this problem all day, and just seem to get myself more and more confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
try drawing a free body diagram- the forces acting on the block are the push, friction, the normal force, and weight.

I have :(. I don't know the weight, only what I gave above. It seems to me like I need one more piece of information, such as the weight. That is why I posted here, to see if I was missing something obvious.

Last edited:
well, you are solving for the weight, to get the mass.

you know that [itex] F_f = \mu N = \mu Wcos(\Theta) [/itex]

So that means:

Fsubf = 24.5

24.5 = mu x W x cosTheta

24.5/(mu x cosTheta) = W

Thank you so much, I did not recall that relationship between the Friction force and muN.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, usually with one end higher than the other. It is used to make it easier to move objects from a lower point to a higher point.

2. How does an inclined plane affect the motion of an object?

An inclined plane reduces the force needed to move an object by spreading it out over a longer distance. This allows an object to be moved upward with less effort than lifting it straight up.

3. What factors affect the motion of an object pushed up an inclined plane?

The motion of an object pushed up an inclined plane is affected by the angle of the plane, the mass of the object, and the force applied to the object.

4. Why is the force required to push an object up an inclined plane less than the force required to lift it straight up?

This is because the force is spread out over a longer distance on an inclined plane, making it easier for the object to overcome the force of gravity.

5. What is the relationship between the height and length of an inclined plane and the force required to push an object up it?

The longer the inclined plane, the smaller the force required to push an object up it. Similarly, the higher the inclined plane, the larger the force required. This relationship is known as the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane.