Electron Light Absorption in a Hard Vacuum Diode

In summary, the Electrons emitted in a Hard Vacuum Diode do not absorb light in the visible spectrum.
Intuitive
Question.

Does a stream of Electrons emitted in a Hard Vacuum Diode absorb light?

If so what is the absorption Frequency?

This Question is intend for only mean free Electrons in a Hard Vacuum.

I have been wanting to emit some different LASER Frequencies into a Vacuum Diode and see if the Electrons absorb light in the visible spectrum.:bugeye:

The only thing I have to play with is a 50K Fly back Transformer, a Hard Vacuum Diode and a lack of Variable LASER frequency, I need more broad band frequencies to test.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
At optical wavelengths, the scattering of light by electrons is well described by the Thomson cross-section
[tex]\sigma=\frac{8\pi}{3}\frac{\alpha^2}{m^2}[/tex],
in units where hbar and c=1.

My guess is that this is much too small to be observed for the electrons in a vacuum diode. The electron density is just too small.

Last edited:
Intuitive said:
Does a stream of Electrons emitted in a Hard Vacuum Diode absorb light?
If so what is the absorption Frequency?
A strictly "free" electron can not absorb a photon. If you write out the energy and momentum conservation equations, you'll find there's three equations in two unknowns - a situation where you do not, in general, have a solution.

This does not preclude the possibility of free electron scattering (as pointed out above). While this scattering cross-section is small, it is not below detection limits in certain cases - notably for cosmologists who study redshifts in photons penetrating hot plasmas.

This question really is a bit unclear to me. Having read the responses so far, I think we all are interpreting this in the same way.

As Gokul has pointed out, at the QM scale, a photon cannot be absorbed by a free electron. However, if you go beyond that scale into where classical EM and mechanics apply, a bunch of electrons in an external field with long-enough wavelength, then the situation is a bit different. Here, what you have is nothing more than electrons in an oscillating E-field. When this situation occurs, then yes, the electron DOES absorbs energy from the field and get accelerated along the E-field direction till it reverses.

This is essentially what goes on in a particle accelerator using RF cavities (i.e. not using DC fields). If one monitors the RF field strength in the cavity when there's no electron beam, and then look at the RF field again when the beam is passing by being accelerated, one notices a dip in the RF field when there's an electron beam being accelerated. This is what is known as "beam loading". The electron beam is pulling energy out of the RF field for acceleration.

Of course, the physics and mechanics is a lot more complicated than what I've described. But essentially, this is the technique most particle accelerators use, especially at the various synchrotron centers around the world to accelerate their electron beams.

Zz.

1. What is Electron Light Absorption?

Electron light absorption is the process by which an electron absorbs energy from a photon of light, causing it to move to a higher energy state. This is also known as electronic excitation.

2. How does Electron Light Absorption occur?

Electron light absorption occurs when a photon of light with energy equal to the energy difference between two energy states is absorbed by an electron, causing it to move to a higher energy level. This is known as the photoelectric effect.

3. What is the relationship between Electron Light Absorption and color?

The color of a substance is determined by the wavelengths of light that it absorbs. When an electron absorbs a photon of light, it can only do so if the energy of the photon matches the energy difference between the electron's energy levels. This means that different substances will absorb different colors of light, depending on their electron energy levels.

4. How is Electron Light Absorption used in scientific experiments?

Electron light absorption is commonly used in spectroscopy, a technique used to identify and analyze the chemical composition of a substance. By measuring the wavelengths of light absorbed by a substance, scientists can determine the energy levels of its electrons and identify the elements present in the substance.

5. Can Electron Light Absorption be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the energy levels of electrons can be manipulated through various methods such as applying an electric field or changing the chemical composition of a substance. This allows for control over the absorption of light by electrons, which has important applications in fields such as photovoltaics and optoelectronics.