What kind of model should I use to express temperature change in my experiment?

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for population growth and how it can also be applied to measuring temperature change. The equation is only accurate if there is a general increase in values, but the speaker is unsure if this will be the case in their experiment. They are considering using a statistical analysis instead to predict changes in temperature.
TSN79
For a normal population growth we have the basic equation

[tex]
{{dP} \over {dt}} = kP
[/tex]

I'm not investigating pop.growth, but temperature change, but it really shouldn't matter if I'm measuring degrees instead of people. The only problem I have is that this equation only seems to be fairly accurate if there is a general increase in the values as it goes along. In my experiment a room is heated for 24h, and I want to express the temperature change using the following set of equations:

[tex]
Q_P + \rho \cdot C_{P,Air} \cdot \dot V\left( {T_O - T_R } \right) = U \cdot A\left( {T_R - T_O } \right)
[/tex]

and

[tex]
m \cdot C_{P,wall} \cdot {{dT_m } \over {dt}} = U \cdot A\left( {T_R - T_m } \right)
[/tex]

I haven't done the experiment yet, but I'm not convinced that the temperature will always increase steadily, it might decrease in periods, and increase in others. What kind of model should I then use?

Of course, if the temperature does indeed turn out to only have a slow steady increase and no decrease, then there won't be a problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
That way of solving your current problem complicates everything, I suggest statistical analysis to then predict the changes in temperature instead. By the way, a dot on the V's head doesn't look right to me.

Based on the information provided, it seems like you are conducting an experiment to measure temperature change in a room over a period of 24 hours. In this case, it would be more appropriate to use a different model than the one for population growth.

One possible model that could be used is the heat transfer equation, which takes into account the various factors that affect temperature change such as heat flow, thermal conductivity, and specific heat capacity. This model would be more suitable for your experiment as it considers the specific conditions of your setup, including the heating of the room and the materials used in the walls.

Alternatively, you could also consider using a regression model to analyze your data and determine the relationship between the different variables in your experiment, such as time and temperature. This would allow you to identify any patterns or trends in the temperature change over the 24-hour period.

Ultimately, the most appropriate model to use will depend on the specific details of your experiment and the type of data you are collecting. It may be helpful to consult with a statistician or research advisor to determine the best approach for your particular experiment.

1. What is a sufficient model?

A sufficient model is a statistical or mathematical representation of a system or phenomenon that accurately explains and predicts the observed data. It is considered sufficient if it has enough complexity and explanatory power to capture the essential features of the system, without being overly complex or unnecessary.

2. How do you determine if a model is sufficient?

The sufficiency of a model can be determined through various methods such as statistical tests, cross-validation, and comparison to other models. Generally, a sufficient model should have a high level of goodness of fit, low prediction error, and be able to replicate the observed data with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

3. What are the benefits of using a sufficient model?

Using a sufficient model can provide a better understanding of a system or phenomenon, facilitate predictions and decision-making, and help identify important variables or relationships. It can also serve as a basis for further research and development of more advanced models.

4. Can a model be both sufficient and simple?

Yes, a model can be both sufficient and simple. In fact, simplicity is often a desirable quality in a model as it can make it easier to interpret and apply. However, it should not sacrifice sufficiency, as a model that is too simplistic may not accurately represent the complexity of the system.

5. How can a sufficient model be used in scientific research?

A sufficient model can be used in scientific research to test hypotheses, make predictions, and gain insights into the underlying mechanisms of a system. It can also serve as a tool for understanding and solving real-world problems in various fields such as economics, biology, and engineering.