Sleep Deprivation: A Walking Zombie’s Tale

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's sleep deprivation, their struggle with staying awake and the consequences of starting their homework late. They also mention their belief that they are not designed for more than 6 hours of sleep per day and give advice to not start homework late. The conversation also briefly touches on the challenges of being a medical intern and the importance of double checking work.
Cyrus
I got 2 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours. I’m such an idiot. :grumpy: Now I am a walking zombie. :cry: I think I will go and buy a big coffee from star bucks now........shudder. Its weird though, I am yawning but I don’t really feel all that tired. It comes and goes. Sometimes I feel no effects of sleep deprivation. I really don’t think I was designed for more than 6 hours of sleep a day. I am afraid if I fall asleep now I won't wake up. Then I will miss class and I can't turn in my stat homework which kept me up because I started it at 1 a.m today lol. My advice, don't start your stat homework at 1 am when its due the next day.

Physics news on Phys.org
cyrusabdollahi said:
I got 2 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours. I’m such an idiot. :grumpy: Now I am a walking zombie. :cry: I think I will go and buy a big coffee from star bucks now........shudder. Its weird though, I am yawning but I don’t really feel all that tired. It comes and goes. Sometimes I feel no effects of sleep deprivation. I really don’t think I was designed for more than 6 hours of sleep a day. I am afraid if I fall asleep now I won't wake up. Then I will miss class and I can't turn in my stat homework which kept me up because I started it at 1 a.m today lol. My advice, don't start your stat homework at 1 am when its due the next day.

My advice : don't do Medicine. It's no joke, as a Houseman/intern, you'll be working 40 hours at a stretch with no sleep at all, repeating that feat 3 times a week, all the while making critical decisions that affect the lives and deaths of your patients.

cyrusabdollahi said:
My advice, don't start your stat homework at 1 am when its due the next day.

Good job there Cyrus. Might want to check your integration one more time before turning in that homework.

What is sleep deprivation?

Sleep deprivation is a condition where an individual does not get enough sleep, either due to a lack of opportunity or difficulty falling or staying asleep. It can lead to a range of negative effects on physical, mental, and emotional well-being.

How much sleep do I need?

The amount of sleep needed varies by age and individual. Generally, adults need 7-9 hours of sleep per night, while teenagers need 8-10 hours and younger children need 9-11 hours.

What causes sleep deprivation?

Sleep deprivation can be caused by various factors, including lifestyle choices (such as staying up late to study or work), medical conditions (such as sleep disorders), and external factors (such as noise or light disturbances).

What are the effects of sleep deprivation?

Sleep deprivation can have both short-term and long-term effects on physical and mental health. These effects can include fatigue, difficulty concentrating, irritability, weakened immune system, and increased risk of chronic diseases.

How can I prevent sleep deprivation?

To prevent sleep deprivation, it is important to establish healthy sleep habits and prioritize getting enough sleep each night. This can include creating a relaxing sleep environment, sticking to a consistent sleep schedule, and avoiding stimulants such as caffeine close to bedtime.