Fighting in the desert

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary: If they couldn't find an oasis, then they might find a well or spring. But even then, it would be a risky undertaking to drink from these sources because of potential poisonous snakes or other creatures. Water bearers - whose job it was to get the water supply to the troops. Otherwise troops used cateens or water skins. An animals bladder or stomach could be used as a container also.Mobility was provided by horses or camels depending on the geography, of course. Armed with a water supply and an array of supplies for camp followers, armies were able to wage war in the desert for many years.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
How did armies use to fight in the desert waaaaay back in the day without water? Like, you know, 1000 years ago. I'm watching Kingdom of Heaven and i was wondering exactly how armies had water out in the desert... especially if they wanted to have any sort of mobility with their armies.

Who here has the answer? Find out after this message and a word from our sponsors...

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a reason why its called a 'movie.'

cyrusabdollahi said:
There is a reason why its called a 'movie.'

Yah but i think war existed before the 1800's.

I think they had pottery back then.

-Job- said:
I think they had pottery back then.
And hammers. Definitely hammers.
That's why we only find pottery shards.

Armies were not, in general, very mobile in the old days.
Aside from the actual fighting force you had an array of camp followers who provided a variety of services to the military.

A general had to be most particular in both establishing supply lines, and to send out patrols to scour the neighbourhood of whatever goods were to be found.

Because this was the standard pattern, on occasion a daring general like Caesar might commit himself to a "lightning strike" on an opponent by only moving his fighting forces away from the supply lines and engage the enemy to their surprise. However, if this type of attack failed, then the soldiers would be left without any means or places for recovery.

Well most ancient cities sprung up in areas where the was a water source, so it's not too far of a stretch to think that there was an adequate water supply close to ancient battle-fields. A traveling army probably would not march through the heart of the desert, but follow the path of a river. Or stop at cities along the way for water breaks.

RVBUCKEYE said:
Well most ancient cities sprung up in areas where the was a water source, so it's not too far of a stretch to think that there was an adequate water supply close to ancient battle-fields. A traveling army probably would not march through the heart of the desert, but follow the path of a river. Or stop at cities along the way for water breaks.
I have to think this is the case since carrying adequate water for thousands of soldiers would be an enormous undertaking. Along with that each soldier must have had a "canteen", probably like a wineskin, of water.

They could drink their sweat. A never ending source of water.

Pengwuino said:
How did armies use to fight in the desert waaaaay back in the day without water? Like, you know, 1000 years ago. I'm watching Kingdom of Heaven and i was wondering exactly how armies had water out in the desert... especially if they wanted to have any sort of mobility with their armies.

Who here has the answer? Find out after this message and a word from our sponsors...
Water bearers - whose job it was to get the water supply to the troops. Otherwise troops used cateens or water skins. An animals bladder or stomach could be used as a container also.

Mobility was provided by horses or camels depending on the geography, of course.

And likely, armies would try to secure any oasis in the vicinity.

What are the effects of fighting in the desert on the human body?

Fighting in the desert can have severe effects on the human body due to the extreme heat and arid conditions. Some common effects include dehydration, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke. The dry air can also cause respiratory issues such as bronchitis and asthma.

How does the terrain of the desert impact military tactics in combat?

The terrain of the desert can greatly impact military tactics in combat. The lack of natural cover and high visibility make it difficult for troops to hide and maneuver. The soft sand can also impede movement and make it challenging to set up defensive positions.

What are the main challenges of supplying troops in a desert combat zone?

Supplying troops in a desert combat zone can be a difficult task. The extreme temperatures can spoil food and water supplies quickly. The harsh terrain can also make it challenging for supply trucks to navigate and can lead to delays in delivering essential resources to troops.

How does the desert environment affect the performance of weapons and equipment?

The desert environment can have a significant impact on the performance of weapons and equipment. The extreme heat can cause malfunctions and damage to weapons, and the fine sand can clog machinery and weapons. Special maintenance and care are required to keep equipment functioning properly in the desert.

What measures are taken to protect soldiers from extreme heat and sun exposure in the desert?

To protect soldiers from extreme heat and sun exposure in the desert, they are provided with proper protective gear, including sunscreen, hats, and lightweight, breathable clothing. They are also encouraged to stay hydrated and take breaks in shaded areas to avoid heat exhaustion and heat stroke.