Why does my calculater calculate this wrong?

• Thread starter esradw
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of delta in the equation delta = arctan (1/48). The person encountered a problem where their calculator was in degree mode instead of radian mode, resulting in an incorrect answer. The others in the class were able to solve the problem correctly, but the person is still struggling and seeking help. Ultimately, the key is to make sure the calculator is in the correct mode before doing calculations.
esradw
Or am I missing something here?

I need to find delta = arctan ( 1/48) and when I calculate that arctan (1/48) I find delta=1.19 but the answer is delta =0.0208 ( it seem opposite ?)

actually there was another question like that and I had the same problem there too. It seems everybody in the class know how it works accept me :((
please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Always make sure your calculator is in the right mode when doing calculations.

I think your calculator is in degree mode. So, it gave you an answer in degrees. But, what you gave as the correct answer, seems to be in radians.

Your calculator is in "degree" mode and it should be in "radian" mode.

esradw said:
Or am I missing something here?

I need to find delta = arctan ( 1/48) and when I calculate that arctan (1/48) I find delta=1.19 but the answer is delta =0.0208 ( it seem opposite ?)

actually there was another question like that and I had the same problem there too. It seems everybody in the class know how it works accept me :((
please help
I think Hurkyl and HallsofIvy addressed your problem, but it really shouldn't even get to that point. What is 1/48?

From around .1 radians or less, your angle (in radians) is approximately equal to the tangent of the angle and is also approximately equal to the sine of the angle (since the cosine is getting very close to 1, and tangent is sine over cosine). Technically, you would be reasonably close for a ways above .1 radians, but I generally go with what was used on the small angle tangent/sine scale on slide rules.

Why does my calculator give me the wrong answer?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to input errors, such as mistyping a number or forgetting to include a decimal point. It could also be due to a malfunction or technical issue with the calculator itself. Make sure to double check your inputs and try using a different calculator to see if the issue persists.

Why does my calculator show a different answer than my friend's calculator?

Calculators can vary in accuracy and precision, so it's possible that two different calculators may give slightly different answers. This could also be due to different settings or modes being used on each calculator. If the difference in answers is significant, it's best to consult the user manuals for both calculators to determine the cause.

Why does my calculator give me an error when I try to divide by zero?

Dividing by zero is mathematically undefined, so most calculators will show an error when attempting to do so. It's important to understand that dividing by zero is not possible and any result that suggests otherwise is incorrect.

Why does my calculator round the answer to a different number of decimal places than I input?

Calculators often have a limited number of digits they can display, so they will round the answer to fit within that limit. This could also be due to the calculator's settings or mode, which may be set to round to a certain number of decimal places. If you need a more precise answer, you may need to use a calculator with a higher precision or adjust the settings on your current calculator.

Why does my calculator show an answer in scientific notation?

Scientific notation is a way to express very large or very small numbers in a more concise form. Your calculator may automatically switch to scientific notation if the answer is too large or too small to display using standard decimal notation. This can typically be adjusted in the calculator's settings.