Finding a Thesis Topic: An Undergraduate Journey

In summary, the conversation revolves around an undergraduate student at an honors college who needs to write a thesis to complete their degree. They mention being burnt out and no longer interested in their previous fields of study, but they need to find a topic soon. They mention their background in math and physics and their interests in astrophysics, relativity, high energy physics, automata, and algebra. They are considering incorporating math into their thesis and are open to suggestions from their professors. The conversation also includes a suggestion to explore the applications of higher mathematics in physics.
Nebula
I’m an undergraduate student at an honors college. In order to get my degree I need to write a thesis. I need to find a topic soon. I’m going to talk to the professors here and see what things they have in mind but I’m trying to think of some ideas on my own. Thing is I’m really burnt out. I been in school for awhile and I’m dragging myself along now. I used to be pumped about Physics and Math but my interests in those areas have died off a bit. Regardless I need to make it down the home stretch. So does anyone have any suggestions for thesis topics that might be doable? I don’t want to reinvent the wheel or do anything revolutionary. I don’t want to have to learn a bunch of outrageously hard mathematics, I just want to graduate. Here is my background.

Math
Advanced Calculus
Abstract Algebra
Number Theory
Ordinary Differential Equations
Geometry
Linear Algebra
Automata Theory
Some Knot Theory

Physics
Classical Mechanics
Statistical Mechanics
Electricity and Magnetism
Special Relativity with and Introduction to GR
Quantum Mechanics
Planetary and Stellar Astronomy

Basically what you would expect an Undergrad to know. My own interests are in Astrophysics, Relativity, High Energy Physics, Automata, and Algebra.

High Energy Physics is probably out of the question for thesis topics because I didn’t take Advanced Quantum Mechanics. So I’m thinking something with Astrophysics. See the thing is I have to incorporate math as well, because my major is Physics/Mathematics. So maybe something that fuses astrophysics with automata, I don’t even know if that is possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think at undergrad level it's really difficult to think of a topic entirely by yourself, especially as you say college is starting to drag. Do you have any computational physics knowledge (-not listed?) - would you want to do a mainly analytical or a computational thesis? Keep talking to your professors, particularly your favourite ones!

You can't even think of anything to do?

I'm a mathematics major and possibly have ideas on what I can do for a thesis for physics. I know nothing about physics, but my thoughts mainly come from the areas of mathematics that apply to physics. They are everywhere!

Crack open any higher mathematics textbook and I guarantee you there is a section dedicated to applications. Learn that bit of mathematics and there you go.

Note: When I say thesis, I mean undergraduate level and NOT Ph. D or even a Masters.

1. What is a thesis topic?

A thesis topic is a specific research question or idea that an undergraduate student chooses to explore and write about in their final thesis paper. It is typically related to their field of study and is a culmination of their academic work.

2. How do I choose a thesis topic?

Choosing a thesis topic involves identifying your interests and strengths, researching potential areas of study, and consulting with your advisor or professors. It is important to choose a topic that is both feasible and meaningful to you.

3. Can I change my thesis topic?

Yes, it is possible to change your thesis topic if you find that it is not working out or if you have a new idea that you are passionate about. However, it is best to consult with your advisor and make sure the change is feasible and will not significantly delay your graduation.

4. How long does it take to find a thesis topic?

Finding a thesis topic can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the individual's research process. It is important to start thinking about potential topics early on and to give yourself enough time to thoroughly research and develop your idea.

5. What if I can't find a thesis topic?

If you are struggling to find a thesis topic, it is important to talk to your advisor or professors for guidance. They may be able to offer suggestions or point you towards resources that can help you identify potential topics. It is also helpful to brainstorm and consider your interests, skills, and current research in your field of study.