Proving Parallelogram Diagonals Bisect Each Other

In summary, the conversation discusses working on vector proofs and specifically proving that the diagonals of a parallelogram bisect each other. The conversation also touches on another proof involving parallel lines and their ratios. The final part of the conversation brings up the concept of the triangle inequality.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. I've got a vectors test coming up soon, so I've been going through everything. At the moment I am working on vector proofs. here's the question:

OABC is a parallelogram where [itex]\overrightarrow{OA}=\mathbf{a}[/itex] and [itex]\overrightarrow{OC}=\mathbf{c}[/itex]. M is the midpoint of the diagonal OB. Prove that the diagonals of this parallelogram bisect each other.

I drew a diagram
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7223/vectorproof0rg.gif

I already know that M is the midpoint of OB, so i just need to show that its also the midpoint of AC. This means that [itex]\overrightarrow{AM}=\overrightarrow{MC}[/itex], which is what I am proving.

[tex]
\overrightarrow{OB}=\overrightarrow{OC}+\overrightarrow{CB}
[/tex]
[tex]
\overrightarrow{OB}=\mathbf{c}+\mathbf{a}
[/tex]

[tex]
\overrightarrow{AM}=\overrightarrow{AO}+\overrightarrow{OM}
[/tex]

[tex]
\overrightarrow{AM}=\mathbf{-a}+\frac{1}{2}\overrightarrow{OB}
[/tex]

[tex]
\overrightarrow{AM}=\mathbf{-a}+\frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{c+a})
[/tex]

[tex]
\overrightarrow{AM}=\frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{c-a})
[/tex]

So now i know [itex]\overrightarrow{AM}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{b}[/itex].

[tex]
\overrightarrow{MC}=\overrightarrow{MO}+\overrightarrow{OC}
[/tex]

[tex]
\overrightarrow{MC}=-\frac{1}{2}\overrightarrow{OB}+\mathbf{c}
[/tex]

[tex]
\overrightarrow{MC}=-\frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{c+a})+\mathbf{c}
[/tex]

[tex]
\overrightarrow{MC}=\frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{c-a})
[/tex]

So i now also have [itex]\overrightarrow{MC}[/itex]. Since they equal the same, as required, i can conclude that:
[tex]\overrightarrow{AM}=\overrightarrow{MC}[/tex]

Is that all i would need to do to answer the question? is the information i provided sufficient to prove that the two diagonals bisect each other?

Thanks,
Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
danago said:
Hey. I've got a vectors test coming up soon, so I've been going through everything. At the moment I am working on vector proofs. here's the question:

OABC is a parallelogram where [itex]\overrightarrow{OA}=\mathbf{a}[/itex] and [itex]\overrightarrow{OC}=\mathbf{c}[/itex]. M is the midpoint of the diagonal OB. Prove that the diagonals of this parallelogram bisect each other.

I drew a diagram
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7223/vectorproof0rg.gif

I already know that M is the midpoint of OB, so i just need to show that its also the midpoint of AC. This means that [itex]\overrightarrow{AM}=\overrightarrow{MC}[/itex], which is what I am proving.

[tex]
\overrightarrow{OB}=\overrightarrow{OC}+\overrightarrow{CB}
[/tex]
[tex]
\overrightarrow{OB}=\mathbf{c}+\mathbf{a}
[/tex]

[tex]
\overrightarrow{AM}=\overrightarrow{AO}+\overrightarrow{OM}
[/tex]

[tex]
\overrightarrow{AM}=\mathbf{-a}+\frac{1}{2}\overrightarrow{OB}
[/tex]

[tex]
\overrightarrow{AM}=\mathbf{-a}+\frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{c+a})
[/tex]

[tex]
\overrightarrow{AM}=\frac{1}{2}(\mathbf{c-a})
[/tex]

At this point instead of doing the rest of what you did, finish up like so :

[tex]
\overrightarrow{AM}=\frac{1}{2}(\overrightarrow{OC} - \overrightarrow{OA}) = \frac{1}{2}(\overrightarrow{AC})
[/tex]

You can actually end it here. Think about it. You're given a point M that is the midpt of OB. You've proved that the vector from point A to M is parallel to the vector from A to C (since this the property of scalar multiplication of a non-null vector) meaning that A, M and C are collinear. You've also established that the magnitude of [tex]\overrightarrow{AM}[/tex] is half that of [tex]\overrightarrow{AC}[/tex] meaning that M is also the bisector of AC which is the other diagonal of the parallelogram. In other words, the bisector of one diagonal is coincident with the bisector of the other, and the result is proved.

I would caution against drawing the other diagonal AC in your initial figure like its passing through M, because by right you cannot assume that (it's one of the things you have to prove). Better to just omit the line segment AC from the diagram altogether to avoid confusion.

ok thanks for that. And yea, now that i think about it, it does make sense to omit line AC.

What about this question:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/486/vectorproof23up.gif

I need to prove that if line AC and DE are parallel, point D cuts line AB in the same ratios as E cuts CB.

I did it by first saying that:
[tex]\overrightarrow{CE}=k\overrightarrow{CB}[/tex]
[tex]\overrightarrow{AD}=h\overrightarrow{AB}[/tex]

And then ill prove that h=k.

If they are in the same ratio, then the following equation should prove true (please correct me if I am wrong):

[tex]\frac{\overrightarrow{AD}}{\overrightarrow{AB}}=\frac{\overrightarrow{CE}}{\overrightarrow{CB}}[/tex]

I then made all the vectors in terms of vectors a and b:

[tex]\frac{h\mathbf{a}}{\mathbf{a}}=\frac{k(\mathbf{-b+a})}{\mathbf{-b+a}}[/tex]

Next, i simply simplified the equation, which left me with:

[tex]h=k[/tex]

Is that how i would prove it?

yeah along those lines will be fine :smile:

With regard to the second question, the working starts off with the assumption that AB and CB are split in the same ratio. This means that you assume that h=k. Having already assumed this, why do you go on to prove it? Instead, you should use the assumption that h=k to try to prove that AC and DE are parallel.

Also, a vector cannot be divided by another vector, so expressions like [tex]\frac{\overrightarrow{AD}}{\overrightarrow{AB}}= \frac{\overrightarrow{CE}}{\overrightarrow{CB}}[/tex] are not really correct. Instead, try expressing it like this... [tex]\frac{\mid\overrightarrow{AD}\mid}{\mid\overrightarrow{AB}\mid}= \frac{\mid\overrightarrow{CE}\mid}{\mid\overrightarrow{CB}\mid}[/tex],
where [tex]\mid\mathbf{a}\mid[/tex] is the magnitude of [tex]\mathbf{a}[/tex].

Actually, the question wants us to assume that AC and DE are parallel and to use this assumption to prove that AB and CB are split in the same ratio. However, if we do it this way, we may end up making too many assumptions (as we also have to assume the ratio is valid for the lengths of the parallel lines). So, I think it's acceptable if we do it the other way round.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but anyway... I can't get the following question out, so I require your assistance.

Show that |a + b| =< |a| + |b| and interpret this result geometrically.

=< means less than or equal to.

Thanks in advance.

Wow...4 years ago i made this thread :bugeye:

ndbunker, in general it would be better to create a new thread rather than bring a very old thread back alive. For your question, that inequality is called the "triangle inequality". Try doing a google search and you will find heaps.

1. What is a parallelogram?

A parallelogram is a quadrilateral (a shape with four sides) in which opposite sides are parallel and equal in length. This means that the opposite sides will never intersect and have the same length.

2. How do you prove that the diagonals of a parallelogram bisect each other?

To prove that the diagonals of a parallelogram bisect each other, you can use the midpoint theorem, which states that the midpoint of a line segment is the point that divides it into two equal segments. In a parallelogram, the diagonals intersect at the midpoint, thus bisecting each other.

3. What is the significance of proving that parallelogram diagonals bisect each other?

Proving that parallelogram diagonals bisect each other is important because it is a property of parallelograms that helps to identify and classify them. Additionally, it can be used to solve various geometric problems and proofs.

4. Can you prove that the diagonals of non-parallelogram quadrilaterals also bisect each other?

No, the diagonals of non-parallelogram quadrilaterals do not always bisect each other. This property is unique to parallelograms and cannot be applied to other quadrilaterals.

5. What are some real-life applications of the property that parallelogram diagonals bisect each other?

Understanding the property that parallelogram diagonals bisect each other can be useful in various fields, such as architecture, engineering, and design. For example, it can be used to create strong and stable structures, or to determine the dimensions and angles of a parallelogram-shaped object.