Current around rotating objects?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an electromagnetic field being produced around a rotating object, specifically extremely fast rotations like electrons. While the person is not an expert on the subject, they bring up the limitations of physical objects and the presence of free electrons in determining if an EM field would be generated. It is also mentioned that microwave ovens and radar use this concept, and a potential use of a metallic sphere in creating an EM field is referenced.
mubashirmansoor
I'd be thankfull to know if an electromegnetic field is produced around a rotating object(extreamly fast rotations like electrons.)

It's urgent thankyou,

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that electromagnetic field is produced around oscillating object. Rotating? I guess not.

mubashirmansoor said:
I'd be thankfull to know if an electromegnetic field is produced around a rotating object(extreamly fast rotations like electrons.)

It's urgent thankyou,

Hmmm... I'm no expert on the subject, but my thoughts are this:

a) You can only rotate a physical object so fast before it will break apart, and that rotational speed, regardless of materials/methods used, is far less than the speed of electrons whirling around an atom.

b) If the object has no "free-electrons" I doubt that rotation of the object would create any EM field.

c) If the object does have free electrons, I'm not sure that objects rotation would cause any oscillation of the free electrons necessary to generate an EM field.

Again, I do not know for certain.

mubashirmansoor said:

It's urgent thankyou,
That's how microwave ovens and radar work, mate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetron

(EDIT -- I seem to remember that the mixer oscillator for HP spectrum analyzer oscillators designed in Santa Rosa, CA in the 1980s used the precession of a small metallic sphere somehow, but I'm not able to get any google hits on that at the moment...)

Last edited:

1. What is the Coriolis effect and how does it affect currents around rotating objects?

The Coriolis effect is a phenomenon that causes objects (such as air or water currents) to veer to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere. This is due to the rotation of the Earth and the difference in velocity between the equator and the poles. In terms of currents around rotating objects, the Coriolis effect can cause the currents to shift direction or become more turbulent as they encounter the rotating object.

2. How does the rotation of the Earth impact ocean currents?

The rotation of the Earth plays a significant role in shaping ocean currents. The Coriolis effect, as mentioned above, affects the direction and strength of currents. Additionally, the rotation of the Earth creates large-scale currents, known as gyres, which move water around the oceans. These gyres are influenced by the Earth's rotation and the position of continents, and can greatly impact global climate and weather patterns.

3. What is the difference between geostrophic and Ekman currents?

Geostrophic currents are large-scale, deep ocean currents that are driven by the Earth's rotation and the Coriolis effect. These currents flow horizontally and are relatively constant in direction and strength. On the other hand, Ekman currents are surface currents that are influenced by the wind and the Coriolis effect. These currents move in a circular pattern, with the direction of the current changing with depth. They are important for redistributing heat and nutrients in the ocean.

4. How do rotating objects affect the flow of river currents?

Rotating objects, such as bends in a river or man-made structures like dams, can significantly impact the flow of river currents. These objects can cause the currents to change direction, speed up, or slow down. They can also create eddies, which are circular currents that can trap debris and affect the overall health of the river ecosystem. Understanding how rotating objects affect river currents is important for managing and maintaining healthy river systems.

5. How does the rotation of the Earth impact weather patterns?

The rotation of the Earth plays a crucial role in shaping weather patterns. The Coriolis effect, caused by the Earth's rotation, affects the direction and strength of winds and ocean currents. This, in turn, impacts the distribution of heat and moisture around the globe, which is a key factor in weather systems. In addition, the Earth's rotation also creates high and low-pressure systems, which can influence the movement of weather patterns and the formation of storms.