Neutrino-antineutrino annihilation

In summary, the conversation discusses the extension of the standard model to include a massive neutrino, which may violate the conservation of quantum numbers. It is proposed that a massive left-handed neutrino can be seen as a massive right-handed antineutrino with a Lorentz boost. The question arises about the possibility of neutrino-antineutrino annihilation processes, particularly for Majorana neutrinos.
hellfire
Science Advisor
As far as I know the usual extension of the standard model to include a massive neutrino implies a violation of the conservation of quantum numbers, this means the lepton number (since the neutrino is uncharged). During its propagation a massive left-handed neutrino can be regarded as a massive right-handed antineutrino with an appropiate Lorentz boost (as explained here). In that case, how can neutrino-antineutrino annihilation processes be explained? Do actually neutrinos and antineutrinos annihilate? It seams to me that there could exist an observer that regards the antineutrino as a neutrino, but still the neutrino as a neutrino.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dirac neutrinos with mass behave like electrons with mass.
LH and RH refer to their weak interaction. Making a LT on a LH neutrino could give it positive helicity, but it would not be considered a RH particle or an anti-neutrino.

Thanks for the answer, but I think my question is rather about Majorana neutrinos. I think neutrino-antineutrino mixing is only possible with Majorana neutrinos. If the neutrino is a Majorana spinor, do annihilations take place?

1. What is neutrino-antineutrino annihilation?

Neutrino-antineutrino annihilation is a process where a neutrino and an antineutrino collide and produce other particles as a result.

2. How does neutrino-antineutrino annihilation occur?

Neutrino-antineutrino annihilation occurs when a neutrino and an antineutrino with opposite charges collide and their energies are converted into other particles.

3. What are the possible outcomes of neutrino-antineutrino annihilation?

The possible outcomes of neutrino-antineutrino annihilation include the creation of other particles such as electrons, positrons, and photons.

4. Why is neutrino-antineutrino annihilation important in the study of particle physics?

Neutrino-antineutrino annihilation is important in the study of particle physics because it provides insights into the nature of neutrinos and their interactions with other particles.

5. How is neutrino-antineutrino annihilation related to the Big Bang theory?

Neutrino-antineutrino annihilation is related to the Big Bang theory because it was one of the processes that occurred in the early universe, resulting in the production of particles that eventually formed the building blocks of matter.