Are these books any good for physics degree in the UK do you think

In summary, the conversation is discussing various physics books for a physics degree in the UK. The books mentioned range from popular science to textbooks. Some are recommended for undergraduate students while others are for advanced level or self-study. The conversation also includes personal opinions and recommendations for certain books.
dirac1
are these books any good for physics degree in the UK do you think or has anyone got any of them and would recommend them ?

>1. Physics (Collins Advanced Science S.) [Paperback] by Dobson, Ken;
>Grace, David 2000 - excellent condition - £22
>
>2. Problems for Physics Students: With Hints and Answers [Paperback]
>by Riley, K - New condition - £14
>
>3. Schrodinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality: The Quantum
>Mysteries Solved - excellent condition - £4
>
>4. Classical Mechanics:A Modern Introduction [Paperback] by McCall,
>Martin W. - new condition - £27
>
>5. Introducing Quantum Theory (Introducing... S.) [Paperback] by
>McEvoy, J.P. - brand new - £4
>
>6. Classical Mechanics [Paperback] by Kibble, T.W.B.; Berkshire,
>F.H. - brand new - £14
>
>7. The Physics of Vibrations and Waves [Paperback] by Pain, H.H. -
>new condition - £29
>
>8. Mathematical Methods for Physicists [Paperback] by Arfken, George
>B.; Weber... - new condition £33
>
>9. The World of Physics [Paperback] by
>Avison, J - excellent condition - £13
>
>10. Electromagnetism (The Manchester Physics Series) [Paperback] by
>I.S Grant, W.R Phillips - new condition - £25
>
>11. Advanced Level Physics [Paperback] by Nelkon, Michael; Parker,
>Philip - excellent condition - £22
>
>12. Universe, The: Its Beginning and End (Abacus Bks.) [Paperback]
>by Motz, Lloyd - new condition - £2
>
>13. Faster Than the Speed of Light: The Story of a Scientific
>Speculation by Joao Magueijo - brand new - £13
>
>14. Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays [Paperback] by
>Hawking, Stephen - excellent condition - £4
>
>15. New Understanding Physics for Advanced Level (Understanding S.)
>[Paperback] by Jim Breithaupt - excellent condition - £26
>
>
>
>16. Space: Our Final Frontier [Hardcover] by Gribbin, John - new -
>
>17. Atlas of the Universe [Hardcover] - new -
>18. E: The Story of a Number by Eli Maor
>
>19. Collins Encyclopedia of the Universe [Hardcover] by Rees,
>Martin; Ridpath, Ian - new -
>
>20. Advanced level Pure Mathematics S.L. Green isbn 0723105251

Physics news on Phys.org
>3. Schrodinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality: The Quantum
>Mysteries Solved - excellent condition - £4

I'm just finishing reading this at the moment. It's a good popular book on quantum mechanics, useful for an undergraduate/sixth former to read to get some "gosh wow!" motivation and physical insight. Also fun reading for an old guy like me thinking of "doing a Brian May" and getting back into astrophysics. Gribbin is a senior research fellow at Sussex University in the UK, as well as a writer of clear prose. By the way, this is better than his "cat" book and can be read stand alone. It has a superb annotated bibliography and points you to harder stuff, or other good popular stuff .

>6. Classical Mechanics [Paperback] by Kibble, T.W.B.; Berkshire,
>F.H. - brand new - £14

Imperial College recommends this as a "catch up book" for old guys trying to get back into physics who want to take their theoretical physics MSc. I've checked out Amazon & other reviews and its on my list of "consider seriously" Classical Mechanics catch up books -- along with Taylor. It's a real textbook, so £14 is a bargain, snap it up.

>8. Mathematical Methods for Physicists [Paperback] by Arfken, George
>B.; Weber... - new condition £33

This book might put you off physics if you attempt to read it without first year calculus under your belt and a lot of hand-holding advice from a kindly (or at least knowledgeable) lecturer. I wouldn't buy this unless you are explicitly asked to buy it for a course. I do have a copy, which I bought in a mad moment of thinking I should know more mathematics. I wish I hadn't. Save your money for recommended textbooks.

>13. Faster Than the Speed of Light: The Story of a Scientific
>Speculation by Joao Magueijo - brand new - £13

I bought this recently, haven't read it yet, but it looks like fun. Another Imperial connection, the author is now a professor at Imperial and teaches the GR course. £13 is a bit steep for a popular work, check amazon, you might get it in paperback for a fiver.

The 'A level textbooks' you mention look really boring -- such books are usually hacked together by mediocre teachers in their spare time. Why read them when you could be reading Feynman's Lectures on Physics?

Kibble Classical mechanics is great. Everything is right and to the point. All problems have numerical anwsers on the back of the book so it really helps if you are doing self study.

French and Taylor have similar looking books on classical mechanics. How do they compare with Kibble?

1. Are these books specifically for physics degree in the UK?

Yes, these books are specifically chosen for physics degree in the UK. They cover the necessary topics and concepts required for a physics degree in the UK.

2. Will these books be enough to prepare for a physics degree in the UK?

These books will provide a strong foundation for a physics degree in the UK, but it is recommended to supplement them with additional resources and practice problems.

3. Are these books recommended by UK universities for their physics degree program?

While each university may have their own recommended textbooks, these books are commonly used in UK universities for their physics degree programs.

4. Can these books be used for self-study for a physics degree in the UK?

Yes, these books can be used for self-study for a physics degree in the UK. However, it is important to also seek guidance from a professor or tutor for a more comprehensive understanding of the material.

5. Are these books suitable for both undergraduate and graduate level physics degrees in the UK?

These books can be used for both undergraduate and graduate level physics degrees in the UK. However, some universities may have specific textbooks for their graduate level courses.