Solving Difference Equations: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter DivGradCurl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary: In this case, the inverse transform of H(z) is given by Iz=-2^{-n}u[n-1], so the z-transform is appropriate.
DivGradCurl
Folks,

I'm a bit rusty on difference eqns. Here's the problem:

[tex] y_n -0.5 y_{n-1} = x_n [/tex]

Here's what I can get out of it so far:

[tex] y_1 -0.5 y_0 = x_1 [/tex]
[tex] y_2 -0.5 y_1 = x_2 [/tex]
[tex] y_3 -0.5 y_2 = x_3 [/tex]

I just need some sense of direction, not a solution. It seems to me that this kind of problem requires that some boundary conditions be given, but that is not the case. That's all I have! Maybe it's something very simple I can't see right now.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
so you have a difference equation. what are you trying to do with it?

are you trying to figure out what [itex]y_n[/itex] is? do you know what [itex]x_n[/itex] is?

I assume the goal is to get [tex]y_n[/tex] since that was not explicitly stated. The directions are simply "solve the difference equation". That doesn't help much, does it? I do not have [tex]x_n[/tex]

It's already about as solved as it can get if you don't know the x's.

Yes, but the answer wouldn't be that obviuous; it sounds like there is information missing, as rbj pointed out. I'll go talk to my instructor. As soon as I find out the answer or have another question, I'll get back to you guys. Thanks for all the help!

Have you been learning about z-transforms?

y[n] -> Y(z)
y[n-1] -> Y(z)/z

then solve for Y(z) = f(X(z)), then transform back to y[n] = f(x[n]) and you will have eliminated the y[n-1].

Z-transforms really work on this kind of problem. I've found a book with a very easy-to-follow introduction. Thanks for the hint. Here is my answer:

[tex]h[n] = -2^{-n}u[n-1][/tex]

One thing to be careful about with z-transforms is that some functions, such as [tex] H(z) = \frac{1}{1-az^{-1}}[/tex], have multiple inverse transforms. Which to use depends on the region of convergence of H(z), which affects (or is defined by) the stability and causality of the system.

1. What are difference equations?

Difference equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a sequence of values. They are used to model discrete systems in which the current state is determined by the previous state and other factors.

2. What is the purpose of solving difference equations?

The main purpose of solving difference equations is to predict the behavior of a system over time. By finding a solution to the equation, we can determine how the system will change and evolve in the future.

3. What are the steps involved in solving difference equations?

The steps involved in solving difference equations include identifying the type of equation, finding the initial conditions, finding the general solution, and then applying the initial conditions to find the specific solution.

4. What are some common methods used to solve difference equations?

Some common methods used to solve difference equations include the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of annihilators, and the method of generating functions. These methods involve using algebraic techniques and principles from calculus to find solutions.

5. Can difference equations be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, difference equations can be applied to model and solve real-world problems in various fields such as economics, physics, and biology. They are especially useful for predicting the behavior of systems that involve discrete changes over time.