Calculating String Tension for Hanging Picture (50N)

• Thread starter Energize
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the tension in a piece of string when hanging a picture off one nail on the wall. The weight of the picture and the angle of the string are known, but the method for finding the tension is unclear. Suggestions are given to draw a free body diagram and apply Newton's Laws, as well as using the formula for resolving a vector into its components. The conversation also touches on the importance of free body diagrams and the concept of tension as a force.
Energize
I need to work out the tension in a piece of string when hanging a picture off one nail on the wall. All I know is that the weight of the picture is 50N and the angle of the sides of the string are at a 40 degree angle from the top of the picture. I have no idea of even how to start working this out. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Forums,

I would begin by drawing a free body diagram labelling all the forces and their orientations.

Energize said:
I need to work out the tension in a piece of string when hanging a picture off one nail on the wall. All I know is that the weight of the picture is 50N and the angle of the sides of the string are at a 40 degree angle from the top of the picture. I have no idea of even how to start working this out. Can anyone help?

Draw a force diagram
Apply Newton's Laws

Realize that the picture is not moving, thus it's velocity is zero. Newton's law will drop down to:

[tex] \sum \vec F_i = 0 [/tex]

Remember that you can write a vector as:
[tex] \vec T = \hat T |\vec T| [/tex]

or in a more familiar notation,
[tex] \vec T = \hat i \, T \cos \theta + \hat j \, T \sin \theta [/tex]

does that help?

hint: you will need to solve for T

Are you familiar with free body diagrams, which show all the forces on objects? Does you textbook have a similar examples worked out for you where there are cables or strings involved?

EDIT -- Oops, I was too slow!

Um, I disagree with this:

This is bad practice and should be avoided.

The only force acting on it is gravity, our class hasn't drawn any of these diagrams you speak of or seen that formulae before, I've just started AS and our teacher just gave us this sheet with loads of questions on without even teaching us about tension yet.

/\
/ \
/ \
/40o 40o\
------------
| |
| |
--------------
50 Newtons

Last edited:
Energize said:
The only force acting on it is gravity, our class hasn't drawn any of these diagrams you speak of or seen that formulae before, I've just started AS and our teacher just gave us this sheet with loads of questions on without even teaching us about tension yet.
See if this info from wikipedia helps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_body_diagram

cyrusabdollahi said:
Um, I disagree with this:

This is bad practice and should be avoided.

Yeah, I posted that rather quickly. I disagree with it too.

I should have just said something along the lines of resolving the vector into its components via the angle between them. Because what I wrote only holds for a subset of problems.

Do you think I should edit it out?

On a side note, I personally hate the [itex] \hat i, \,\, \hat j \,\, \hat k [/itex] notation.

Energize said:

/\
/ \
/ \
/40o 40o\
------------
| |
| |
--------------
50 Newtons

If the only force acting on it was gravity it would continue to fall forever in the direction of the gravity vector.

Imagine a balloon hovering in the air. What forces act on it?
Well of course gravity does.
Then the helium in the baloon is trying to rise which creates an upwards force right?

Well since the balloon is hovering (ie not moving) the "helium" upward force, and the gravity downward force must be equal. You can think of that "helium" force as the force applied to the string. That force is the tension.

Does that makes sense?

FrogPad said:
Yeah, I posted that rather quickly. I disagree with it too.

I should have just said something along the lines of resolving the vector into its components via the angle between them. Because what I wrote only holds for a subset of problems.

Do you think I should edit it out?

On a side note, I personally hate the [itex] \hat i, \,\, \hat j \,\, \hat k [/itex] notation.

Nah, so long as he knows its not a 'formula'

What is string tension?

String tension is the force or pull exerted on a string when it is stretched or suspended between two points.

Why is calculating string tension important for hanging a picture?

Calculating string tension is important for hanging a picture because it ensures that the string can support the weight of the picture without breaking or causing damage to the wall.

What factors affect string tension?

The factors that affect string tension include the weight of the object being suspended, the length and thickness of the string, and the distance between the two points where the string is attached.

How do I calculate string tension for hanging a picture?

To calculate string tension for hanging a picture, you will need to know the weight of the picture, the length and thickness of the string, and the distance between the two points where the string will be attached. Then, you can use the formula T = (m x g) / L, where T is the tension, m is the mass or weight of the picture, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and L is the length of the string.

What is a safe string tension for hanging a picture that weighs 50N?

The safe string tension for hanging a picture that weighs 50N will depend on the strength and type of string being used, as well as the distance between the two points where the string will be attached. It is recommended to use a string with a higher weight capacity than the weight of the picture to ensure safe and secure hanging.