Area of a right-angled triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the area of a right triangle with one leg measuring 6 and the hypotenuse measuring 10. There is some confusion about the orientation of the triangle and the number of available heights. The correct answer could be either 24 or 30, depending on the orientation of the triangle.
Ooops... sorry about that...What I hadn't been seeing was how NateTG's post ruled out a height of 6... but *slaps forehead* now I see my problem. When NateTG said "A triangle with hypotenuse of 10 can't have a height of 6..." he was referring to the distance from the hypotenuse to the right angle... NOT the length of one of the sides... (that was bothering me). He even came right out and said it in the previous sentence when he used the word altitude... I read the rest of the post several times, and in great detail (and puzzlement), but should have been more thorough. My faith in humanity (and physicists) is restored. :) (although I personally feel quite silly). Thanks.

<h2>1. What is the formula for finding the area of a right-angled triangle?</h2><p>The formula for finding the area of a right-angled triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height, where A represents the area, the base is the length of the triangle's base, and the height is the length of the triangle's height.</p><h2>2. How do you determine the base and height of a right-angled triangle?</h2><p>The base and height of a right-angled triangle can be determined by measuring the length of the sides using a ruler or by using the Pythagorean theorem if the lengths of two sides are known.</p><h2>3. Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to find the area of a right-angled triangle?</h2><p>No, the Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of the sides of a right-angled triangle, not the area. The formula for finding the area of a right-angled triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height.</p><h2>4. What units are used for measuring the area of a right-angled triangle?</h2><p>The area of a right-angled triangle is typically measured in square units, such as square inches, square feet, or square meters.</p><h2>5. Can the area of a right-angled triangle be negative?</h2><p>No, the area of a right-angled triangle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space inside the triangle.</p>

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a right-angled triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a right-angled triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height, where A represents the area, the base is the length of the triangle's base, and the height is the length of the triangle's height.

2. How do you determine the base and height of a right-angled triangle?

The base and height of a right-angled triangle can be determined by measuring the length of the sides using a ruler or by using the Pythagorean theorem if the lengths of two sides are known.

3. Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to find the area of a right-angled triangle?

No, the Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of the sides of a right-angled triangle, not the area. The formula for finding the area of a right-angled triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height.

4. What units are used for measuring the area of a right-angled triangle?

The area of a right-angled triangle is typically measured in square units, such as square inches, square feet, or square meters.

5. Can the area of a right-angled triangle be negative?

No, the area of a right-angled triangle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space inside the triangle.