What is the magnitude of the contact force between the boxes?

In summary, the problem involves a force of magnitude 7.50 N being applied to three boxes with masses 1.30 kg, 3.30 kg, and 5.10 kg. The contact forces between boxes 1 and 2 and between boxes 2 and 3 need to be determined. To find the acceleration, the formula a=F/m is used, resulting in a value of 1.63. However, this does not take into account the third mass, so the formula becomes a=F/(m1+m2+m3). Finally, Newton's 2nd law is applied to find the contact forces for each individual mass, with the net force being 7.50 N.
youxcrushxme
I'm really confused about this problem -

As shown in Figure 5-22, a force of magnitude 7.50 N pushes three boxes with masses m1 = 1.30 kg, m2 = 3.30 kg, and m3 = 5.10 kg.

05-19alt.gif

(a) Find the magnitude of the contact force between boxes 1 and 2.
(b) Find the magnitude of the contact force between boxes 2 and 3.

So F=7.5N. First you need to find the acceleration right? So I got a=F/m and did 7.5/(1.3+3.3) for part a. That gave me 1.63. I multiplied that with 3.3 because that's the mass of the second box and got a contact force of 5.379N but it's telling me that it's not right. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
youxcrushxme said:
So F=7.5N. First you need to find the acceleration right? So I got a=F/m and did 7.5/(1.3+3.3) for part a. That gave me 1.63.
What happened to the third mass?

I'm confused about how I work that in there...I was kind of doing the problem as if the third one wasn't there which is wrong. So I do 7.5/(1.3+3.3+5.1) to get a? And then once I have a how do I find the contact force?

You apply Newton's 2nd law: First to the entire 3-block system, to find a. Then to each mass separately, to find the contact forces. (Realize that the F in F = ma is the net force.)

Ahh, I figured it out, thanks

What is contact force?

Contact force is a type of force that occurs when two objects are in direct physical contact with each other. It is the force that is exerted by one object on another through direct physical contact.

What are some examples of contact force?

Some examples of contact force include friction, tension, normal force, air resistance, and applied force. Friction occurs when two surfaces rub against each other, tension is the pulling force in a string or rope, normal force is the force exerted by a surface to support an object, air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air, and applied force is any force that is applied to an object by a person or another object.

How is contact force different from non-contact force?

Contact force requires direct physical contact between two objects, while non-contact force can act between objects that are not in direct physical contact. Examples of non-contact force include gravitational force and electromagnetic force.

How is contact force measured?

Contact force is typically measured in units of newtons (N) using a force meter or a spring scale. The magnitude and direction of the force can be determined using vector analysis.

Why is understanding contact force important?

Understanding contact force is important because it helps us understand the interactions between objects and how they affect motion. It is also essential in fields such as mechanics, engineering, and physics, where the study of forces is crucial to understanding the behavior of objects.