Calculating Relative Humidity at 60°F

In summary, relative humidity at 60°F is a measure of the amount of water vapor present in the air at a temperature of 60°F. To calculate it, you need to know the current temperature and dew point temperature. The ideal relative humidity at 60°F is typically between 40-60%, which can vary depending on personal preferences and the environment. It can affect health by causing dry skin or promoting the growth of mold and bacteria. To measure it, you can use instruments such as a hygrometer or psychrometer, or check weather forecasting websites or apps.
jxs919
My brain is fried on other subjects. Help me!

Given: Max Water Vapor Capacity for Air @ 70 degrees F (21 deg. C)= 8g/cubic foot.

At 60% relative humidity, the actual water vapor content is 4.8g/cubic foot.

If the room temperature were lowered to 60 degrees F (16 deg. C) at which the max water vapor capacity is 5.8g/cubic foot, calculate the new relative humidity.

help me get started here...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by looking at where 60% (0.60) comes from -- then it will be easy to calculate from there.

First, we need to understand the concept of relative humidity. Relative humidity is the amount of water vapor present in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapor that can be present at a given temperature. It is expressed as a percentage.

In this case, we are given the maximum water vapor capacity for air at 70 degrees F, which is 8g/cubic foot. We are also given that at 60% relative humidity, the actual water vapor content is 4.8g/cubic foot. This means that at 70 degrees F, the air is holding 4.8g of water vapor, which is 60% of its maximum capacity.

Now, we need to calculate the new relative humidity at 60 degrees F. We are given that at this temperature, the maximum water vapor capacity is 5.8g/cubic foot. This means that at 60 degrees F, the air can hold a maximum of 5.8g of water vapor.

To calculate the new relative humidity, we can use the following formula:

Relative Humidity = (Actual water vapor content / Maximum water vapor capacity) x 100

Substituting the values we have, we get:

Relative Humidity = (4.8g/cubic foot / 5.8g/cubic foot) x 100 = 82.76%

Therefore, at 60 degrees F, the relative humidity would be approximately 82.76%. This means that the air is holding 82.76% of its maximum capacity of water vapor at this temperature.

I hope this helps you with your calculation. Remember to always check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation. Good luck!

1. What is relative humidity at 60°F?

Relative humidity at 60°F is a measure of the amount of water vapor present in the air at a temperature of 60°F. It is expressed as a percentage and represents the ratio of the actual amount of water vapor present to the maximum amount of water vapor that can be present at that temperature.

2. How do you calculate relative humidity at 60°F?

To calculate relative humidity at 60°F, you will need to know the current temperature and the dew point temperature. The formula to calculate relative humidity is (actual vapor pressure / saturation vapor pressure) x 100%. At 60°F, the saturation vapor pressure can be found using a table or online calculator.

3. What is the ideal relative humidity at 60°F?

The ideal relative humidity at 60°F is typically between 40-60%. This range is considered comfortable for most people and can help prevent the growth of mold and mildew. However, the ideal relative humidity can vary depending on personal preferences and the specific environment.

4. Can relative humidity at 60°F affect health?

Yes, relative humidity at 60°F can affect health. Low humidity levels can lead to dry skin and respiratory irritation, while high humidity levels can promote the growth of mold and bacteria. It is important to maintain a comfortable and balanced level of relative humidity to promote good health.

5. How can I measure relative humidity at 60°F?

There are various types of instruments that can measure relative humidity, including a hygrometer or a psychrometer. These instruments can provide an accurate measurement of relative humidity at 60°F. Additionally, many weather forecasting websites or apps also provide the current relative humidity for a specific location.