Proving Piecewise Continuity of f(x)=x^2(sin[1/x]) in (0,1)

• Thread starter barksdalemc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the function f(x) = x^2(sin[1/x]) is piecewise continuous on the interval (0,1) by dividing the interval into finite subintervals and showing that the function is continuous within each subinterval. It is also mentioned that the function has discontinuities of the first kind at the endpoints. The correct function is confirmed to be f(x) = x^2(sin[1/x]) and the question asks to prove that it is piecewise continuous. The conversation also clarifies that the function does not need to have any discontinuities to be considered piecewise continuous. The conversation briefly discusses the definition of a limit and concludes that the limit from the right
barksdalemc
I have a question that asks to show that f(x)=x^2(sin[1/x]) is piecewise continuous in the interval (0,1). I need to show that I partition the interval into finite intervals and the function is continuous within the subintervals and have discontinuities of te first type at the endpoints. I tried using any multiple of pi. That doesn't work. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that:

[tex]x^2 \sin \left \frac{1}{x} \right [/tex]

? Because that function is just continuous in (0,1), so it's obviously piecewise continuous. Or does [1/x] mean the integer part of 1/x? If so, then it seems like the natural thing to do is divide up (0,1) into the regions where [1/x] takes distinct values (ie, (1/2,1],(1/3,1/2], etc.).

[tex]x^2 \sin \left \frac{1}{x} \right [/tex]

Is the correct function, which you indicated. The exact question is as follows:

A function f is called piecewise continuous (sectionally continuous) on an interval (a,b) if there are finitely many point a = x(sub o) < x(sub 1) < ... < x(sub n) = b such that
(a) f is continuous on each subinterval x(sub o) < x < x(sub 1) , x(sub 1) < x < x(sub 2) , ... , x(sub n-1) < x < x(sub n), and
(b) f has discontinuities of the first kind at the point x(sub o),x(sub 1), ... , x (sub n). The function f(x) need not be defined at the points x(sub o),x(sub 1), ... , x (sub n). Show that the following functions are piecewise continuous:

f(x) = [tex]x^2 \sin \left \frac{1}{x} \right [/tex] , 0 < x < 1

Right, and do you see why that is continuous in the ordinary sense (or piecewise continuous with a trivial partition of (0,1))?

It seems like the question wants a further partition of (0,1). The left limit doesn't exist here so I'm confused as to why the function has a discontinutiy of type 1 on the trivial interval (0,1)

Well the left limit does exist, but this doesn't matter because 0 isn't in your range. The fact is there are no discontinuities anywhere. A function doesn't have to have any discontinuities to be piecewise continuous. The definition you gave above is a little awkward, but it doesn't rule out the possibility that the number of discontinuities is zero (which is finite), and this is certainly allowed.

Maybe I don't understand the definition of the limit then. As we approach 0 the lim sup from the right is not the same as the lim inf from the right, therefore the limit from the right does not exist.

What do you get as the limsup and liminf?

0 for both. My bad.

What is the definition of piecewise continuity?

Piecewise continuity refers to the property of a function where it is continuous on each individual piece or interval of its domain, but may have discontinuities at the points where the pieces meet.

Why is it important to prove piecewise continuity?

Proving piecewise continuity is important because it ensures that a function is well-defined and behaves in a predictable manner. It also allows us to accurately analyze the behavior of the function and make accurate predictions about its values.

What is the process for proving piecewise continuity of a function?

The process for proving piecewise continuity involves showing that the function is continuous on each individual piece and that the pieces connect smoothly at the points where they meet. This typically requires using the definition of continuity and limits to show that the function approaches the same value from both directions at the points where the pieces meet.

What challenges may arise when proving piecewise continuity?

One challenge that may arise when proving piecewise continuity is identifying and understanding the specific points where the pieces of the function meet. This requires careful analysis of the function and its behavior. Another challenge may be showing that the function is continuous at these points, which may require using techniques such as the squeeze theorem or algebraic manipulations.

How can I use technology to help prove piecewise continuity?

Technology such as graphing calculators or graphing software can be helpful in visualizing the function and identifying any potential discontinuities. It can also be used to check the continuity of the function at specific points or to assist in the algebraic manipulations required for the proof. However, it is important to also understand the mathematical concepts and not solely rely on technology for the proof.