Pacific Wind's ThrustPac: Bicycle Jet Backpack

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bicycle Jet
In summary, the ThrustPac is a personal jet pack that can give riders speeds up to 35 miles per hour and a range of 150 miles per gallon. It weighs 20 pounds and has a 35cc engine. There is not much information on the ThrustPac homepage, but from the video it looks like the user controls the device with a finger throttle mounted on a glove. It is not effective for everyone due to the heavy load it requires and the inefficient fan. It would be a good idea for GW to try one.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Bicycle "Jet" Backpack

Think biking/skate/kicking/etc/etc is to strenous? Try the Pacific Wind’s “ThrustPac” it’s personal jet pack that will give you speeds from 25 to 35 miles per hour and it has a range of 150 miles per gallon. It weight 20 pounds and has a 35cc engine. There is not much information on Pacific Wind’s homepage (It kind of sucks) but from the images and the video if looks like you control the device with a finger throttle mounted on a glove.

Check out the demonstration video:
http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2....com/2006/10/04/personal-jet-pack/&frame=true

Pacific Wind homepage
http://www.personalpropulsion.com/products.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: It looks a lot like those leaf blower contraptions they created on MythBusters to propel their homemade hovercrafts. :rofl: As I recall, they had better luck pushing with their hands than with the propellors. :biggrin:

By the way, if it really does get that much thrust, what happens when you don't have very strong abs to keep from being bent over in the middle after turning it on? Do you get smooshed to the ground by it? :devil:

Oh come on, you KNOW that you want one! :biggrin:

I was wondering how effective this might really be. Randomly picking a 35cc Honda engine, the output is rated as 1.2KW at 7000 RPM. I know from experience that 300 watts is a pretty heavy load for most riders; with 200 watts being more likely a constant duty level. This would mean that the fan has to be around 17% efficient, which I think might be possible.

That has got to be very inefficient. If you were to hook the same 35cc engine straight into the bicycle's crankshaft, I'm sure you'd do a lot better with it. Of course, then you'd have to learn to operate a clutch, and will have reinvented the original mopeds (as opposed to what they call "mopeds" now).

150+mpg is common among 200+lb. users on a mountain bike.
Sounds like some Darwin award awaiting to happen.

And: Can we get GW to try one? He's already shown he's not that great at Segwaying.:rofl:

I think I would opt for some ear plugs.:wink:

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh come on, you KNOW that you want one! :biggrin:
Yeah, with one of those, I could get a bike around here and have some hope of getting back UP the mountains once I get down them. :biggrin: :rofl: Of course, with that added weight on the way downhill...it might not matter, because I would just make that much bigger of a splat at the bottom. :uhh:

That video was a bit disappointing. I thought for sure that he was going to T-bone that white car entering the parking lot.
I just might have to build me one of those.
Moonbear, given your, er... predominant features, you don't have to worry about your head hitting the pavement. Not all of us are lucky enough to come with biological airbags.

1. How does Pacific Wind's ThrustPac work?

The ThrustPac uses a combination of thrust from a small jet engine and aerodynamic wings to propel the user forward while riding a bicycle. The user can control the speed and direction of the ThrustPac using a handheld controller.

2. What materials is the ThrustPac made of?

The main body of the ThrustPac is made of lightweight and durable carbon fiber. The jet engine and wings are made of a high-strength aluminum alloy. The straps and harness system are made of comfortable and adjustable synthetic materials.

3. How long does the jet fuel last and how is it refueled?

The jet fuel can last up to 2 hours of continuous use. The ThrustPac comes with a refillable fuel tank that can be easily refilled with standard jet fuel at gas stations or airports. Alternatively, users can purchase pre-filled fuel canisters from Pacific Wind.

4. Is the ThrustPac safe to use?

Yes, the ThrustPac is designed with safety as a top priority. The jet engine is equipped with multiple safety features, including an automatic shut-off in case of emergency. The wings are designed to provide stability and control, and the harness system ensures a secure and comfortable fit for the user.

5. Can the ThrustPac be used in any weather conditions?

The ThrustPac is designed to be used in fair weather conditions. It is not recommended to use it in heavy rain, strong winds, or extreme temperatures. The ThrustPac should also not be used in crowded or busy areas to avoid potential accidents.

Back