Pinball: Finding Spring Constant for Min Speed

• Thread starter dan_c_101
  • Start date
In summary, the problem at hand is to determine the equation for the spring constant x of a pinball machine, given variables h, m, R, K, and g. The minimum speed of the ball is 0 and the goal is for the ball to go around the boundaries of the pinball machine without falling off its path. The equation for the spring constant can be found by using conservation of energy and the formula Fs = -kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium point. More information is needed to provide a specific answer.
dan_c_101
In a pinball machine, there is a spring, the further back you pull the spring the faster the ball goes. With variables, h, m, R, K and g, what is the spring constant. To get the ball at its minimum speed to go around the boundries of the pinball machine without falling.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say I understand the problem completely, but I'm pretty much sure you need to use conservation of energy somehow. Hope that helps.

What my teacher is asking is basically the equation for x (spring constant). Theres no numbers involved, but I am getting really confused.

While all of the variables you listed are completely understood by you, they are a total mystery to us. Please define your variables.

Also the minimum speed of the ball is 0, it will not go anywhere at the minimum speed. Please give us a better statement of the problem.

Your question appears a little vague. Generally, the spring constant is implied by the variable k (dimensions N/m) and x is the displacement of the spring (in meters) from its equilibrium point. In general, the force Fs of the spring is given by:

Fs = -kx

The negative implies the force acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. Some textbooks call this a restoring force.

If you write the entire question down, perhaps we can be more specific to your needs.

Hope this helps.

Sorry guys, this is all that my teacher gave our class. h is the height of the pinball table like from the spring to the very top of the pinball table. And there is a spring constant (i think he means the stretch of the spring) so that the ball can go at a velocity that would get it around the boundaries of the pinball table without falling off its path. Sorry I can't be more detailed but that's all the info we were given. m is mass, x is spring constant, g is the acceleration.

Your looking for how far does the spring stretch back, not the constant.

1. What is the purpose of finding the spring constant for minimum speed in pinball?

The purpose of finding the spring constant for minimum speed in pinball is to determine the minimum amount of force needed to launch the ball at a desired speed. This helps players adjust their aim and strategy for achieving their desired score.

2. How is the spring constant for minimum speed in pinball calculated?

The spring constant for minimum speed in pinball is calculated by dividing the distance the plunger is pulled back by the distance the ball travels after being launched. This ratio represents the amount of force needed to launch the ball at a specific speed.

3. Why is it important to find the spring constant for minimum speed in pinball?

It is important to find the spring constant for minimum speed in pinball because it allows players to have more control over their shots and aim for specific targets on the playing field. It also helps players improve their overall skill and accuracy in playing the game.

4. What factors can affect the spring constant for minimum speed in pinball?

The spring constant for minimum speed in pinball can be affected by the strength of the spring, the angle at which the plunger is pulled back, and the weight and size of the pinball itself. Other factors such as wear and tear on the plunger or playing surface may also affect the spring constant.

5. How can the spring constant for minimum speed in pinball be used to improve gameplay?

Knowing the spring constant for minimum speed in pinball can help players adjust their technique and strategy for achieving their desired score. By understanding the relationship between the amount of force applied and the resulting speed of the ball, players can make more accurate shots and potentially score more points in the game.