What Is the Hydrostatic Force on a Vertical Gate in an Irrigation Canal?

In summary, to find the hydrostatic force in pounds on the gate in the irrigation canal, we use the formula F = density x gravity x area x depth, and integrate over the trapezoid shape of the gate. This yields the formula 60\int_0^5 y(5-y)dy, which gives us the total force on the gate.
SUchica10
A gate in an irrigation canal is in the form of a trapezoid 3 feet wide at the bottom, 5 feet wide at the top, with the height equal to 2 feet. It is placed vertically in the canal with the water extending to its top. For simplicity, take the density of water to be 60 lb/ft cubed. Find the hydrostatic force in pounds on the gate.

I am having problems setting this problem up. It looks like its really easy but I am just not sure how to start it.

I know F = density x gravity x area x depth

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the force acts on the gate is not constant, i.e. force at the bottom is larger than that at the top , we have
dF = density x gravity x depth x d(area)
Do this integration over the trapezoid will yield the correct answer.

Imagine the gate being divided into many narrow horizontal bands of width "[itex]\Delta y[/itex]". If y is the depth of a band, and [itex]\Delta y[/itex] is small enough that we can think of every point in the band as at depth y, then the force along that band is the pressure, 60(y) [NOT "times gravity"! The density of the water is weight density, not mass density!], times the area: the length of the band times [itex]\Delta y[/itex]. Of course, the length of the band depends on y: it is a linear function of y since the sides are straight lines, length(2)= 3 and length(0)= 5 so length(y)= -y+ 5. The force on that narrow band is 60y(5-y)[itex]\Delta y[/itex]. The total force on the gate is the sum of those,[itex]\Sum 60y(5-1y)\Delta y[/itex], as y goes from 0 to 2. In the limit, that becomes the integral
[tex]60\int_0^5 y(5-y)dy[/tex]

1. What is a hydrostatic force problem?

A hydrostatic force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the force exerted by a fluid at rest on an object or surface submerged in the fluid.

2. How do you calculate hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the acceleration due to gravity and the submerged volume of the object or surface.

3. What is the difference between hydrostatic pressure and hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic pressure is a measure of the force per unit area exerted by a fluid at rest, while hydrostatic force is the total force exerted by the fluid on a submerged object or surface.

4. What is the importance of solving hydrostatic force problems?

Solving hydrostatic force problems is important in various fields, such as engineering, architecture, and fluid mechanics, as it helps in designing and constructing structures that can withstand the pressure of fluids.

5. How can I apply hydrostatic force equations in real-life situations?

Hydrostatic force equations can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the buoyant force on a ship, determining the stability of dams and retaining walls, and designing hydraulic systems for machines.