Troubleshooting a Dell Precision Machine After a Power Outage

In summary, the user's Dell Precision machine was overheating and the three fans were spinning very loudly. The computer was dead and there were no error codes. The noise of the fans was causing damage to the machine and the user was looking for a way to fix the problem. The user found that the power supply was not delivering the voltages specced, so they replaced the power supply. The user also found that the machine had an error code which indicated a "possible VRM 0 failure".
-Job-
Science Advisor
Great, i get home from work and find my fairly expensive dell precision machine, which i use as a web server, in some state. All three fans spinning very loudly at full power like a jet engine and the computer completely dead.
When i restart the computer no characters are printed, the monitor doesn't even get off standby, no error/beep codes, nothing at all save for the insanely loud noise of the fans.
It's not the memory nor any external component, and everything smells fine inside the machine (i.e. nothing burnt).
This might have been caused by a power outage, judging from the blinking of my alarm clock, even though i have an expensive APC battery backup plugged into a surge protector.
It sounds like a power supply problem, but before i throw any more money into this system i'd like to know if anyone has had a similar case.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Take a voltmeter to it and find out.

- Warren

In particular, remove the power supply (takes a couple of minutes) and verify that it is delivering the voltages specced. I don't like to test these "in situ" in case there are unresolved problems that may cause further damage. I had an office in a building that routinely experienced under-voltage and voltage spikes, and it's no fun when you lose an on-board drive controller to that kind of crap, so do a component-level check to make sure the power supply is OK before proceeding.

There's voltage being delivered to the fans clearly, some leds light up, and i measured some voltage reaching the hard drive power outlets. Though i don't know what the power supply's specs are supposed to be. It's beginning to sound like the motherboard is gone.
The motherboard is supposed to bring the fans down. The fans always start at full speed when the machine is first turned on. So the problem is that the mechanism for turning them off isn't activating.
It could be an internal component such as the network card, which happens to be onboard.
Unbelievable.

OK, you have schematics (I hope) showing what your power supply needs to be delivering. On most power supplies, there will be an adhesive label showing what these voltages are. First make sure that your power supply is OK, then proceed from there.

The voltages are 5 and 12 volts if I'm reading it correctly. I've confirmed that 12 volts is being delivered, although I'm not much of an electrical engineer.

That is pretty much standard for a US power supply in a PC. It looks like your power supply is OK, and it's time to wander down the food-chain.

I recently bought the APC BackUPS too and they had a guarantee that they would refund up to $2000 for any electrical damage to any equipment connected to their device. It's probably just a joke/scam anyway but i'll look into it.

Do a search on ATX to find the specs for your power supply. Becareful about checking voltages with no load on the PS. ATX power supplies need a load to operate correctly. I am not sure what load is needed.

Last year I fought a similar problem for several months, replaced the power suppy, and mother board and the problem remained, it turned out to be a bad stick of memory. The memory seemed to work fine, it just brought the system to its knees everynow and then.

There actually is an error code which indicates a "possible VRM 0 failure". Apparently a failure in the component powering the first processor, so a motherboard failure. Dell is sending me a new motherboard covered under the warranty. So that's not so bad.

1. How can I tell if my Dell Precision machine has been affected by a power outage?

If your Dell Precision machine is not turning on or is experiencing unusual behavior, it is possible that it was affected by a power outage. You can also check for any error messages or warnings on the screen or in the system logs.

2. What steps should I take if my Dell Precision machine was affected by a power outage?

The first step is to unplug the machine from the power source and wait for at least 30 seconds. Then, plug it back in and try turning it on. If that does not work, you can try resetting the machine's power supply by pressing the power button for 10-15 seconds. If the issue persists, you may need to contact Dell support for further assistance.

3. Can a power outage damage my Dell Precision machine?

A power outage can potentially cause damage to any electronic device, including a Dell Precision machine. It is important to properly shut down your machine before a power outage occurs to minimize the risk of damage. Additionally, using a surge protector can help protect your machine from power surges during a power outage.

4. Will a power outage cause me to lose any important data on my Dell Precision machine?

If your Dell Precision machine was properly shut down before the power outage, it is unlikely that you will lose any data. However, if the machine was in the middle of a process or the power outage was particularly severe, there is a possibility that some data may be lost. It is always a good idea to regularly back up important data to prevent loss in case of power outages or other malfunctions.

5. How can I prevent my Dell Precision machine from being affected by a power outage in the future?

To prevent your Dell Precision machine from being affected by a power outage, you can invest in a good quality surge protector and make sure to properly shut down the machine before any scheduled power outages. You can also consider investing in a backup power supply, such as a UPS (uninterruptible power supply), which can provide temporary power during a power outage to allow you to properly shut down your machine.