Mechanical Energy Transfer in a Spring System

In summary, two particles, A and B, are connected by a compressed spring. When the spring is released, the particles fly off in opposite directions with energy stored in the spring being transferred to them. The mass of A is 3 times that of B, and the energy stored in the spring is 76 J. By using the conservation of energy and momentum, it can be determined that particle B has a kinetic energy of 57 J and particle A has a kinetic energy of 19 J.
mbrmbrg

Homework Statement

Particle A and partidcle B are held together with a compressed spring between them. When they are released, the spring pushes them apart, and they then fly off in opposite directions, free of the spring. The mass of A is 3 times the mass of B, and the energy stored in the sring was 76 J. Assume that the spring has negligible mass and that all its stored energy is transferred to the particles. Once that transfer is complete, what are the kinetic energies of each particle?

Homework Equations

E=const.

For the system: total U_i + K_i=total U_f + K_f

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]U_i + K_i = U_f + K_f[/tex]

K_i=0, U_f=0

[tex]U_i=K_f[/tex]

[tex]U_i=K_{Af}+K_{Bf}[/tex]

[tex]U_i=\frac{1}{2}m_Av_A^2+\frac{1}{2}m_Bv_B^2[/tex]

Let m_B=m, so m_A=3m

[tex]76 J=\frac{1}{2}3m+\frac{1}{2}mv_B^2[/tex]

At this point, I noticed that if the velocities are the same, K_A will be 3 times as large as K_B. Sure enough, the answer is that the U_i has been divided into 4 parts--but paticle B has 57 J and paticle A has 19 J!

How was I supposed to get there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Energy is not the only thing conserved in this problem.

Dude. I thought of momentum and said, "Nope. Outside force going on, baby." Must remember that WHENEVER energy is conserved, so is momentum. And sometimes when energy isn't conserved, also...

OK. so [tex]4mv_i=0=3mv_{Af}+mv_{Bf}[/tex]

Rearrange and get [tex]v_{Af}=\frac{v_{Bf}}{3}[/tex] and shove it into my potential energy equation... and have oodles of fun and find out all sorts of stuff I'm not asked for, and get the answer!

Bless you, Doc Al! :!)

1. What is Mechanical Energy Transfer?

Mechanical energy transfer is the process by which energy is transferred from one object to another through physical contact or movement. This can occur through various mechanisms such as friction, collisions, or mechanical work.

2. How is Mechanical Energy Transferred?

Mechanical energy can be transferred through three main types of transfer: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction occurs when two objects are in direct contact and heat is transferred from the hotter object to the cooler one. Convection involves the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred from one form to another. This means that the total amount of mechanical energy in a closed system remains constant, even as it is transferred between objects.

4. Can Mechanical Energy be Converted to Other Forms of Energy?

Yes, mechanical energy can be converted to other forms of energy such as thermal energy, electrical energy, or potential energy. For example, when a ball is dropped, its mechanical energy is converted into kinetic energy as it falls. This kinetic energy can then be converted into thermal energy when the ball hits the ground and generates heat.

5. How is Mechanical Energy Used in Everyday Life?

Mechanical energy is used in a variety of everyday activities, such as riding a bike, using a car, or turning on a light switch. It is also used in larger scale applications, such as generating electricity through wind turbines or powering machines in factories. Essentially, any movement or work that requires physical force involves the transfer of mechanical energy.