Magnetic Force: Can vs 2L Bottle

• Thread starter remosmile
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, if two magnets of the same size but different strengths are placed with their positive poles facing each other at a distance of one inch, the larger magnet with more magnetic dipoles will have a greater repulsive force.
remosmile
I am new to the field of magnetics and therefore my question will probably be elementary but here goes. If I have 2 neodymeum magnets both the size of a 12 0z can of coke and I place the cans positive pole to positive pole they will repel each other with a certain force and for argument sake say at 1 inch apart.
Question: If I were to take one of those can sized magnets and place its positive pole against the positive pole of another neodymium magnet the size of a 2 liter bottle at one inch distance apart would there be more repulsive force ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the larger magnet has the same magnetization as its smaller counterpart, then yes, I'm fairly certain that there will be a greater repulsive force.

BTW, remember that magnetization is the number of magnetic dipoles per volume. So a larger magnet can be weaker, if it has fewer magnetic dipoles.

Yes, there would likely be more repulsive force between the larger neodymium magnet and the can-sized magnet compared to the two can-sized magnets. This is because the strength of a magnet's magnetic field is directly related to its size and strength. The larger magnet would have a stronger magnetic field, resulting in a greater repulsive force between the two magnets. Additionally, the distance between the two magnets also plays a role in the strength of the magnetic force, so the one-inch distance between the two magnets would also contribute to a stronger repulsive force. However, the exact magnitude of the repulsive force would depend on the specific properties and alignments of the magnets.

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a force that is exerted by a magnetic field on a moving electric charge or a magnetic dipole. It is one of the fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between magnets and the behavior of electric currents.

2. How does magnetic force work?

Magnetic force is a result of the interaction between moving electric charges and magnetic fields. When a charged particle moves through a magnetic field, it experiences a force that is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can magnetic force be stronger than other forces?

Yes, magnetic force can be stronger than other forces, such as gravity or friction. The strength of the magnetic force depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the speed of the moving charged particles. In certain situations, such as in particle accelerators, the magnetic force can be much stronger than other forces.

4. What is the difference between can and 2L bottle in terms of magnetic force?

Can and 2L bottle are both objects that can be affected by magnetic force. However, the difference lies in the materials they are made of. Cans are usually made of aluminum, which is not magnetic, so it is not affected by magnetic force. On the other hand, 2L bottles are usually made of plastic, which is not magnetic but can have small amounts of iron in the cap or label, making it slightly affected by magnetic force.

5. How can I demonstrate the effects of magnetic force using a can and 2L bottle?

You can demonstrate the effects of magnetic force by using a strong magnet and placing it near the can and 2L bottle. The can will not be affected by the magnet, while the 2L bottle may slightly move towards or away from the magnet, depending on the orientation of the magnet and the amount of iron in the bottle's cap or label. This shows the difference in the magnetic properties of the two objects.