Sufficient Statistic: T, S Pairing Explained

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistic
In summary, the conversation discusses the sufficiency of a statistic T(x) for a parameter 'theta' and how it relates to another statistic S(x). The question is posed as to how formally explain the sufficiency of the combined statistic (T,S). It is suggested that the combined statistic may not be sufficient if the process of pairing alters the information in T(x). However, it is also argued that if T is a scalar statistic and sufficient for 'theta', then a vector (T,S) can also be sufficient due to the sufficiency of T alone. The idea of a vector statistic being sufficient for a scalar parameter is unknown.
EvLer
If T(x1...xn) is a sufficient statistic and is paired up with another statistic S(x1...xn) then the (T,S) is still a sufficient statistic i think, correct?
But how would I "formally" explain that?
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure... just giving my thoughts..

Let, T(x) be sufficient for some parameter 'theta' say. Then T(x) contains all information about 'theta'. Now the question is how are you 'pairing up' S(x) with T(x) ... by addition or multiplication or through some other relation? If the process of 'pairing' alters the information in T(x) then the combined statistic may not be sufficient.
As for example, consider the normal distribution N(theta,1). Let x1,x2,...,xn be a random sample from it drawn independently of each other. Then T(x)= (x1+x2...+xn)/n is sufficient (minimal) for theta. Consider
S(x)= (x1-x2-x3...-xn)/n. Then if you pair up by addition, ie, form a new statistic T(x)+S(x), it is not sufficient for theta.

Last edited:
I think what EvLer means is "if a scalar statistic T is sufficient then a vector (pair) of statistics (T,S) is also sufficient." The heuristic answer is "because even if one were to ignore S, they would still have sufficiency by virtue of having T."

Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
I think what EvLer means is "if a scalar statistic T is sufficient then a vector (pair) of statistics (T,S) is also sufficient." The heuristic answer is "because even if one were to ignore S, they would still have sufficiency by virtue of having T."

If T is scalar then it can be sufficient for a parameter 'theta' which is also scalar valued. Then you mean that, a vector valued statistic (T,S) can be sufficient for a scalar valued parameter 'theta'?... The idea is unknown to me.

Last edited:

1. What is a sufficient statistic?

A sufficient statistic is a function of a random sample that contains all the information needed to make an unbiased estimate of a population parameter. It is a way to summarize the data without losing important information.

2. How is a sufficient statistic different from other statistics?

A sufficient statistic is different from other statistics in that it contains all the relevant information about a population parameter, whereas other statistics may only contain a subset of that information. This means that a sufficient statistic is the most efficient way to estimate a population parameter.

3. How is T, S pairing used in sufficient statistic?

T, S pairing is a method used to identify a sufficient statistic from a set of statistics. It involves pairing a statistic with a function of the sample that does not depend on the unknown parameter being estimated. This pairing allows for the identification of a sufficient statistic, which is then used to make an unbiased estimate of the population parameter.

4. What are the benefits of using a sufficient statistic?

The use of a sufficient statistic has several benefits. It reduces the amount of data that needs to be analyzed, making the estimation process more efficient. It also eliminates the need to know the underlying distribution of the data, making it applicable to a wider range of scenarios. Additionally, using a sufficient statistic can lead to more accurate and unbiased estimates of population parameters.

5. Can a statistic be both complete and sufficient?

No, a statistic cannot be both complete and sufficient. A complete statistic contains all the information about a sample, while a sufficient statistic contains all the information about a population parameter. It is possible for a statistic to be sufficient but not complete, or complete but not sufficient.