Minimize Cost: Find Dimensions & Total Cost of Box w/ 16000cm^3 Volume

In summary, the conversation is about finding the dimensions of a closed box with a square base that has a volume of 16000cm^3 and the minimum total cost, given that the top and bottom cost $3 per sq/cm and the sides cost $1.5 per sq/cm. The box is a rectangular prism and the cost is given by a function in terms of two variables, which can be minimized using techniques learned in class. It is also mentioned that if the box is not a square prism, the top and bottom areas should still be minimized to minimize the cost. Additionally, calculus of variations can be used to solve these types of problems.
Spectre32
Ok my teacher was going over this today, but i have no idea how to solve this.

A Closed box with a square base is to have a volume of 16000cm^3. The top and bottme cost 3 persq/cm. while the top is 1.50 pr sq/cm Find the demison of the box that will lead to the total minium total cost. WHat is the total cost.

Physics news on Phys.org
So does the top cost 3/cm^2 or 1.5/cm^2?

cookiemonster

Whoops. my bad. THe top and bottem are $3per sq/cm and the sides are $1.5 per sq/cm

Okay. The box is a rectangular prism. It has a base of dimensions length (l) and width (w). It also has height (h). Its volume is defined by

V = l*w*h

which is required to be 16000cm^3, so

lwh = 16000.

Additionally, the cost of the box is given by

C = $1.5*2(lh + wh) + $3*2(lw)

Using the equation for volume you can eliminate one of the variables, giving you the cost in terms of only 2 variables. You'll have to minimize this function using techniques you learned in class.

Why don't you give it a shot and post what you get?

cookiemonster

I thought the box was a square prism ("A Closed box with a square base")...

So it is. 3 mistakes in 1 day. Go me.

It's easy to fix. Just let l = w and minimize the remaining variable.

cookiemonster

Is there actually an answer to the question if the box was not a square prism, and no other data was supplied? Can't see how myself. :smile:

I don't think it matters either way. The top and bottom contribute most to the cost, so minimizing those areas will likely minimize the cost as well. It just makes the math a bit more difficult.

Then again, I haven't run the numbers, so I could be (and considering the day, probably am) wrong.

cookiemonster

You have to at least state what kind of aperture you want on the 'box'. The (smooth) surface with maximal volume per unit of surface area is the sphere; but where do you put stuff in? These problems are (often) solvable with calculus of variations (probably) subject to the smoothness constraints etc.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a box?

The formula for finding the volume of a box is length x width x height.

How do I minimize the cost of a box with a given volume?

To minimize the cost of a box, you will need to find the dimensions that will result in the smallest surface area for the given volume. This can be done by using the formula for surface area and setting it equal to the given volume, then solving for the dimensions.

What is the formula for finding the surface area of a box?

The formula for finding the surface area of a box is 2lw + 2lh + 2wh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

How do I find the dimensions of a box with a given volume?

To find the dimensions of a box with a given volume, you will need to use the formula for volume and solve for one of the dimensions, then use this value to solve for the other dimensions.

How do I find the total cost of a box with a given volume?

To find the total cost of a box with a given volume, you will need to multiply the cost per unit of material by the surface area of the box, which can be found using the formula for surface area.