Energy expended, no work done?

In summary, this has been something that has been bothering me for a long time: textbooks generally are not flat out wrong, and i have taking physics, but i don't know where or why.
mr200backstrok
this has been something that has been bothering me for a long time:

say that you are holding a big box in your arms. You are constantly expending chemical energy to keep that box in the air. energy is measured in watts, which equal joule/seconds (right?). now say you hold it for 10 seconds, and you are using 10 watts (arbitrary values). 10 joules/second * 10 seconds = 100 joules. According to this, you have done 100 joules of work on the box, correct? but, work = force* distance. while you have exerted a force, distance =0, so work equals 0, according to this logic.

so have you done 100 joules of work on the box, or 0?

I am not talking about net work done on the box. I am talking about the work you have done on the box.

Physics news on Phys.org
You did no work on the box, no net work on the box, nothing on the box.

why?

where is my first line of logic flawed?

(I agree that it must be [textbooks generally are not flat out wrong, and i have taking physics] but i don't know where or why)

Another way you could look at it is this. Say that at the end of that 10 seconds i am exerting 10 watts. However, I then stop exerting energy, and it falls. When it is falling, i am exerting no force, so therefore no work. So if i was doing 0 joules of work both times, why did it fall the second time? what is the difference between 0 joules and 0 joules?

Last edited:
Because dispite not moving the box anywhere, the fibers in your muscles constantly expand and contract when you hold the bod at a fixed position.

so if i could somehow keep those fibers from expanding and contracting, i could hold the box with no effort?

No, that's how your muscles work. You wouldn't be able to move. Contraction and expansion of the muscles is what gives you your mobility.

But theoretically, yes. (Your joints and body would have to be one rigid solid piece).

Interestingly enough, I saw on TV that there are some animals that have the ability to stay perfectly still for hours, so I suspect their muscles are doing something funny. (I think it was lizards)

Last edited:
thank you!

alright, thanks a lot!

and what i meant was that if you could stop them from moving temporarily, and then start moving again whenever you wanted.

like a lizard, i guess... but that's trivial.

1. What is meant by "energy expended, no work done"?

Energy expended, no work done refers to a situation where energy is used or consumed, but there is no resulting change or transformation in the system. This means that although energy has been expended, it has not been used to perform any useful work.

2. Can energy be expended without any work being done?

Yes, it is possible for energy to be expended without any work being done. This can happen when there is no external force acting on the system, or when the energy is dissipated in the form of heat or sound instead of being used to perform work.

3. How is energy expended without work being done useful?

Although energy expended without work being done may not seem useful, it can still play a role in maintaining the stability and functioning of a system. For example, in a closed system, some amount of energy may be expended in the form of heat, but this can help to regulate the temperature and maintain equilibrium.

4. Can energy expended without work being done be recovered?

In most cases, energy that is expended without work being done cannot be recovered. This is because the energy is usually dissipated in the form of heat or sound, which cannot be easily converted back into usable energy. However, in some cases, the energy expended may be stored and used at a later time.

5. How is "energy expended, no work done" related to the concept of efficiency?

The concept of "energy expended, no work done" is related to efficiency because it represents a situation where energy is not being used effectively. In terms of efficiency, this would mean that a high amount of energy is being wasted or lost without any useful work being accomplished. Therefore, minimizing instances of "energy expended, no work done" can improve overall efficiency in a system.