What physically is the BETA of a transistor?

In summary, the conversation is about the physical characteristics of a transistor and how manufacturers determine the beta value. The question asks if the beta value is dependent on doping levels or base material thickness, and how it relates to the amplification process. The conversation also mentions the relationship between collector and base current and where the ratio comes from. The speaker acknowledges that the question may be too basic and apologizes if it is not relevant.
smolkswagon
Hi All, The question I ask is pretty elementary.Come to think of it, i am not even an academic and the industry I work in is different. The BETA of a transistor. What is it in physical terms. How do the manufacturers of the transistor decide how to put that beta into it,physically.Does it depend on the comparitive levels of doping or on the thickness of the base material. Now, this is where all the amplification comes from. Is it a ratio of the doping levels between the base and the collector or is it something much more complex. Ultimately, how is it that the collector current is always a multiple of the base current.Where is this ratio coming from?
I do understand the question is quite basic.And do excuse me if this question is out of context in here.
Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is the BETA value of a transistor?

The BETA value of a transistor is a measure of its current amplification ability. It is also known as the current gain or hFE value.

2. How is the BETA value calculated for a transistor?

The BETA value is calculated by dividing the collector current (IC) by the base current (IB). This ratio is typically expressed as hFE = IC/IB.

3. Why is the BETA value important in transistor circuits?

The BETA value is important because it determines the amount of current amplification a transistor can provide. It also helps in selecting the appropriate biasing and resistor values for a transistor circuit.

4. What is the typical range of BETA values for a transistor?

The typical range of BETA values for a transistor is between 20 and 200, although it can vary depending on the type of transistor and its manufacturer.

5. How does temperature affect the BETA value of a transistor?

Temperature can affect the BETA value of a transistor, as it can cause changes in the internal resistance and other factors that affect current amplification. Generally, as temperature increases, the BETA value will decrease.