Troubleshooting Monostable 555 Timer Circuit

In summary: If you have the discharge (pins 1 and 13) connected to the capacitor, then the 555 timer may not be working because it needs power to start the discharge process. If you do not have the discharge connected to the capacitor, then you may have a problem with the 555 timer chip.
Arsenic0
So I will start off saying that I am not a genius when it comes to this stuff quite yet, but i have done several EE classes(slow but its going) and tinker around for fun.

But for some reason this 555 Timer(i have a 556 Dual Timer) is just not working and i can't tell if its a faulty chip or what.

I am hooking up this circuit from figure-11 mid way down the page to create a monostable output for a circuit i am working on.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/555/555.html

Now from what i understand what should happen is when i get it all hooked up it should begin charging the capacitor to ~2/3rds of Vc as well as put the output high, then inside the timer it should flip back and thus drain the capacitor back to zero and turning off the output.

From what i can tell using those values it should last approximately 7 seconds. But this is what happens.

I setup my multimeter to watch across the capacitor, and short the trigger very quickly thus starting the charge process and turning on the output & LED. I watch it climb and climb until 2/3rds then nothing happens, the voltage SLOWLY starts to drain out of the capacitor but the output stays on. I am sure if i left it on long enough the capacitor would fully drain and turn off the circuit but we're talking atleast 5 minutes to do so.

What could i possibly be doing wrong? I have tried both sides of my 556 chip(that i got from Radioshack) and they both do the same thing. Forcing reset low does immediately drain the cap and turn off the output, but for some reason the stupid chip never does it itself.

I have gotten some info that the 555 may not like me reading across the capacitor with my MM but that's how i originally had it and only started doing so in hopes of finding the problem.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Check you have the discharge (pins 1 and 13 on the 556) connected to the capacitor.

Is there a pull up resistor on the Trigger input (6 and 8) or are they floating?

1. What is a monostable 555 timer?

A monostable 555 timer is an electronic circuit component that functions as a one-shot pulse generator. It produces a single pulse of a specific duration when triggered by an external signal.

2. What are some common problems encountered when using a monostable 555 timer?

Some common problems with monostable 555 timers include incorrect timing, unstable output, and incorrect trigger signals. These issues can be caused by improper component selection, incorrect wiring, or external interference.

3. How can I troubleshoot a monostable 555 timer problem?

To troubleshoot a monostable 555 timer problem, you can start by checking the connections and making sure all components are properly selected and connected. You can also check the trigger signal and adjust the timing components if needed.

4. Why is my monostable 555 timer not producing a pulse?

There are a few reasons why a monostable 555 timer may not be producing a pulse. Some possible causes include incorrect voltage supply, incorrect trigger signal, or faulty components. It is important to check all connections and components to identify the issue.

5. How can I improve the stability of my monostable 555 timer?

To improve the stability of a monostable 555 timer, you can use decoupling capacitors to filter out noise and fluctuations in the power supply. You can also ensure that the trigger signal is clean and consistent. Additionally, selecting high-quality components can also help improve stability.