Current through a hollow copper cylinder

In summary, a 85.0 g hollow copper cylinder with a length of 70.0 cm and an inner diameter of 1.0 cm has a current density of 1.20×10^5 A/m^2 along its length. To find the current in the cylinder, you can use the formula I = JA, but be sure to use the correct area, which is the surface area of the cylinder (2*pi*r*h + 2*pi*r^2). To find the outer radius, you can use the volume of the cylinder (calculated using the mass and density of copper) and the relation V = h*Pi*(R^2-r^2). Then, the surface area can be found using
Ellesar

Homework Statement

A 85.0 g hollow copper cylinder is 70.0 cm long and has an inner diameter of 1.0 cm. The current density along the length of the cylinder is 1.20×10^5 A/m^2. What is the current in the cylinder?

Homework Equations

possibly J = I/A where J is the current density

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the current by using the formula I = JA, but when I did that, I didn't get the correct answer. Other than doing that, I have no idea about how to do this problem. Any pointers helping me to get started would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you use for the area of the cylinder?

surface area = 2*pi*r*h + 2*pi*r^2

I'm stuck on this problem too. We know the inner radius, how do you get the outer radius? I'm thinking I should subtract the surface area of the outer circle - the surface area of the inner circle to get the right area. Any hints? I also found the drift velocity -- not sure that'd help though. Simply multiplying J and A (with A = Pi * (5/1000)^2) gives the wrong answer (but not by a big margin).

Just for future reference -- the mass is put in there for you to use it with the density of copper to get the volume. Then you can get the outer radius by using the relation V = h*Pi*(R^2-r^2), and solving for R. The surface area, therefore, is just S.A. = Pi*(R^2-r^2) and you're done.

1. What is the purpose of studying current through a hollow copper cylinder?

The purpose of studying current through a hollow copper cylinder is to understand the behavior and properties of electric current in a conducting material. This can help in developing new technologies and improving existing ones, as well as gaining a better understanding of fundamental principles in physics.

2. How is current through a hollow copper cylinder measured?

Current through a hollow copper cylinder is typically measured using an ammeter, which is connected in series with the cylinder and a power source. The ammeter measures the flow of electric charge through the cylinder and displays it in units of amperes (A).

3. What factors affect the flow of current through a hollow copper cylinder?

The flow of current through a hollow copper cylinder can be affected by several factors, including the diameter and length of the cylinder, the material and thickness of the cylinder's walls, and the voltage applied across the cylinder. The electrical resistance of the material also plays a significant role in determining the flow of current.

4. Can the current through a hollow copper cylinder be controlled?

Yes, the current through a hollow copper cylinder can be controlled by adjusting the voltage applied across the cylinder or by changing the material and dimensions of the cylinder. Additionally, the use of resistors or other components in the circuit can also help regulate the amount of current flowing through the cylinder.

5. What are some practical applications of studying current through a hollow copper cylinder?

Studying current through a hollow copper cylinder has many practical applications, including in electrical wiring and circuitry, electromagnets, and electric motors. It is also important in the development of technologies such as generators, transformers, and power transmission systems.