Finding V in a Simple Differential Equation for Concentric Spherical Conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential V at a distance x from two concentric spherical conductors with radii a and b and potentials V1 and 0 respectively. The potential is given by x^2(dV/dx)=k, where k is a constant. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in separating the variables dV and x and provides steps for solving the equation.
John O' Meara
Two concentric spherical conductors radii a and b are at potentials V1 and 0 respectively. The potential V at a distance x from their common centre is given by [tex] \frac{d[x^2\frac{dV}{dx}]}{dx}=0 \\ [/tex]. Find V in terms of x, a, b and V1 ( Note V=V1 when x=a and V=0 when x=b).
I just find it difficult to get started on this, I seem not able to separate out the variables dV and x. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if (as you've written it) the derivative is 0, then x^2V' would be constant. That is separable.

Do I write down x^2V' =0, then [tex] x^2 \int dV =0 [/tex]

No, you write
[tex]x^2\frac{dV}{dx} = k(constant)[/tex]

EDIT: Bah, I screwed up somewhere in the latex. arunbg wrote the essential part anyway

Is that constant k not =0? I mean the [tex] d[x^2\frac{dV}{dx}}] = dx \times 0 = 0 \\ [/tex] In other words where did you get the k. Anyway I have the following [tex] V=k\int \frac{1}{x^2}dx \\ [/tex].

You can't separate the original equation like that. You have [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(x^2V'\right)=0[/tex]. Integrating both sides wrt x gives [tex]\int \frac{d}{dx}\left(x^2V'\right)dx=k \Rightarrow x^2V'=k[/tex]

Your next part is correct. Now integrate that.

Last edited:
Thanks cristo for your help.

1. What is a simple differential equation?

A simple differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative. It is typically in the form of dy/dx = f(x), where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable.

2. What is the purpose of a simple differential equation?

The purpose of a simple differential equation is to model and solve problems in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can help predict the behavior of a system over time by describing how the system changes based on its current state.

3. How do you solve a simple differential equation?

To solve a simple differential equation, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the equation and the initial conditions given.

4. What are some applications of simple differential equations?

Simple differential equations have many real-world applications, such as predicting population growth, modeling chemical reactions, and analyzing electrical circuits. They are also used in the fields of biology, economics, and medicine to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems.

5. Can a simple differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a simple differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is due to the fact that the derivative of a function is not unique, which means there can be different functions that have the same derivative. In these cases, additional initial conditions or boundary conditions may be needed to determine the unique solution.