Help Required: Calculate Tensile & Shear Stress for 200mm2 Area

• Thread starter Malawaki
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the tensile stress and maximum shear stress of a component with a cross sectional area of 200mm2 and a tensile force of 40kn. The tensile stress is calculated to be 200MN/m2. The question of calculating the maximum shear stress arises, with one person suggesting that there may be no shear stress present if only a tensile force is acting. However, another person raises the possibility that shear stress is present in all components and may even cause failure in a tensile stress test. The question remains whether the calculated tensile stress can also represent the maximum shear stress.
Malawaki

Homework Statement

Hi i have the following question a component of 200mm2 cross sectional area is subject to a tensile force of 40kn Determine the tensile stress and the maximum shear stress that exist within the component ? I can work out the shear but how can i work out the maximum Shear ?

Homework Equations

stress = Force
area

The Attempt at a Solution

stress = 40,000

= 200MN/m2

The problem i have is calculating the other stress any help would be gratefully appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
If there's only a tensile force acting, surely the shear stress is 0?

I don't know it may but i always thought shear stress was present in all compoenets and in fact in a tenisle stress test the test specimen did not actually fail in tensile stress but in shear stress. I may be looking to far into the question can the tensile stress i have calculated also be the maximum shear or not ?

Thanks in advance

1. What is the formula for calculating tensile stress?

The formula for calculating tensile stress is: Tensile Stress = Force / Cross-sectional Area

2. How do you determine the cross-sectional area?

The cross-sectional area can be determined by multiplying the width and height of the object. In this case, the area is 200mm2.

3. What is the unit of measurement for tensile stress?

The unit of measurement for tensile stress is typically in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m2).

4. How is shear stress different from tensile stress?

Tensile stress is a measure of the force applied to an object per unit of cross-sectional area, while shear stress is a measure of the force applied parallel to the surface of an object per unit of cross-sectional area. In simpler terms, tensile stress pulls on an object, while shear stress slides or twists it.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life application of calculating tensile and shear stress?

One example of a real-life application is in engineering and construction, where calculating tensile and shear stress is essential for determining the strength of materials used in buildings, bridges, and other structures. This information is crucial for ensuring the safety and stability of the structure.