Vandermonde Matrix Homework: Matlab & Equations

• Thread starter Bob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
Therefore, both equations represent the same relationship between the Vandermonde matrix and the vector v. In summary, the Vandermonde matrix is a matrix that follows the relationship V(i,j)=a(i)^(j-1) and can be generated in Matlab using the function A = vander(v) where A(i,j) = v(i)^(n-j) with n being the length of the vector v.
Bob

Homework Statement

From wikipedia Vandermonde matrix is a matrix for all the indices i and j Vij=ai^(j-1).

In Matlab the function A = vander(v) returns the Vandermonde matrix whose columns are
powers of the vector v, that is, A(i,j) = v(i)^(n-j), where n =length(v).

Homework Equations

V(i,j)=a(i)^(j-1)

A(i,j) = v(i)^(n-j)

The Attempt at a Solution

V(i,j)=a(i)^(j-1) is correct.

Why? Is the second one wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the second equation is also correct. The two equations are equivalent since if you let a(i)=v(i) and n=j then A(i,j) = v(i)^(n-j) can be rewritten as A(i,j)=v(i)^(j-1) = a(i)^(j-1).

What is a Vandermonde Matrix?

A Vandermonde matrix is a special type of matrix in which the elements in each row are the powers of a given vector. It is commonly denoted as V = [1, x, x^2, ..., x^n] where n is the number of rows in the matrix. It is named after Alexandre-Theophile Vandermonde, a French mathematician.

What is the purpose of using a Vandermonde Matrix?

A Vandermonde matrix is used in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and computer science. It is particularly useful in polynomial interpolation, curve fitting, and signal processing. It can also be used to solve systems of linear equations and in image processing.

How is a Vandermonde Matrix created in Matlab?

In Matlab, a Vandermonde matrix can be created using the vander function. This function takes a vector as input and returns a Vandermonde matrix with the vector elements as the powers in each row. For example, vander([1,2,3]) will create a 3x3 Vandermonde matrix with the first row as [1,1,1], second row as [1,2,4], and third row as [1,3,9].

What are the applications of a Vandermonde Matrix in solving equations?

A Vandermonde matrix can be used to solve systems of linear equations using the inverse or pseudo-inverse method. It can also be used in least squares regression to find the best fit for a set of data points. Additionally, it is a key component in the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) algorithm, which is used in digital signal processing.

How can I solve Vandermonde Matrix homework problems effectively?

To effectively solve Vandermonde Matrix homework problems, it is important to have a good understanding of matrix operations and the properties of Vandermonde matrices. Familiarizing yourself with Matlab syntax and functions, such as vander and inv, can also be helpful. Additionally, practicing with different examples and seeking help from tutors or classmates can improve your problem-solving skills.