Quick q - benzoic acid and % yeild

• Thread starter _Greg_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation is about the yield of impure benzoic acid synthesized from benzyl alcohol. The theoretical yield is 5.93g and the experimental yield is 6.13g. The speaker is unsure about how to calculate the percentage yield for the impure acid and questions if it can be greater than 100%. They also discuss the yield of pure acid and the need to explain and remove impurities in the discussion.
_Greg_
i'v synthesized benzoic acid from benzyl alcohol and i have a theoretical value for the yield and and experimental yield of impure acid.

Theoretical Yield = 5.93g
Impure Yield from experiment = 6.13g

Now, my paper asks for the percentage yield of my impure acid, how does that work?

If i do:
6.13/5.93 x 100 then I am going to get a percentage yield of 103.4%

Is that right? surely i can get a yield greater than 100% ?

Later in the experiment it asks for the yield of pure acid which i have done with a reasonable %, i just don't understand it for the impure acid.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your yield for a crude material can be anything... even >100%. You must explain (rationalize) the impurity in your discussion and suggest a method for its removal.

Yes, your calculation for the percentage yield of the impure acid is correct. It is possible to have a yield greater than 100% in some cases, particularly if there are impurities present in the final product. This can happen if the impurities add to the weight of the product, resulting in a higher yield. However, it is important to note that a yield greater than 100% is not ideal and could indicate errors in the experiment or calculations. It is always best to strive for a yield as close to 100% as possible. As for the yield of pure acid, it is likely that you used a purification method to remove impurities and obtain a more accurate yield. This may explain the difference in the percentage yield for the impure and pure acid.

1. What is benzoic acid and how is it used in scientific research?

Benzoic acid is a colorless crystalline organic compound that is commonly used in scientific research as a precursor for the synthesis of other chemicals. It can also be used as a preservative in food and cosmetics.

2. How is % yield calculated in experiments involving benzoic acid?

% yield is calculated by taking the actual amount of benzoic acid produced in an experiment and dividing it by the theoretical amount of benzoic acid that should have been produced. This value is then multiplied by 100 to get the % yield.

3. What factors can affect the % yield of benzoic acid in an experiment?

The % yield of benzoic acid can be affected by various factors such as the purity of the reactants, the efficiency of the reaction, and any side reactions that may occur. The skill and technique of the experimenter can also play a role in the final % yield.

4. How can the % yield of benzoic acid be improved in experiments?

To improve the % yield of benzoic acid, one can ensure the reactants are of high purity, use precise measurements and techniques, and optimize reaction conditions such as temperature and time. It is also important to minimize any side reactions that may occur.

5. What are some potential sources of error when calculating the % yield of benzoic acid?

Potential sources of error when calculating the % yield of benzoic acid include incomplete reactions, loss of product during filtration or transfer, and inaccurate measurements. It is important to carefully record all experimental data and make sure to minimize any sources of error to get an accurate % yield.